Chapter 44 - To Be With You

We did not say anything to each other after that, just slowly came to resume to look over the house for clues.

As we were about to leave, we stood at the door, Sebastian opening it for me to exit. I looked back at the rooms to say a mental goodbye and finally saw a cluster of white in the corner of as room, tucked into the floor. 

"Wait," I stopped in the doorframe. "There."

I pointed at the piece of paper, Sebastian's head following to where I was indicating. 

"What?" he did not see it. 

"There," I started walking towards the parchment, bent over and picked it up. 

Without opening it I gave it to Sebastian. 

He unfolded it and read it to himself. 

His eyes went from excitement to pain as he finished the letter. 

He folded it back and starred at the floor. 

I did not ask anything just held my own hand and waited. 

He sighed and gave me the letter. 

"Sebastian, 

Too much has happened. I need to get away from here for a while. 

I miss Uncle Solomon. 

I need time. 

I will always love you but I don't know if I can ever forgive you. 

Anne"

"I don't understand how I could have missed this when I was here in the summer," he said as I was finishing the last line of the letter. "She must have left it right after the funeral."

"It seems the wind has blown it out of sight," I sighed, giving him back the letter.

"Yes. But you noticed it," he soured, his face revealing disappointment in himself. 

"That's why you asked me to come today," I added, thinking of words to appease him. "To have a second pair of eyes."

"Right," he sighed and put the letter in his pocket. 

I pinched my lips as we once again stood still in the room.

"We should go," Sebastian said, turning to the door once again. 

He exited and I followed, closing the door behind me. 

We walked in silence once again down the road outside of Feldcroft. I felt like an extra wheel. 

Again. 

_____

I did not call for Highwing and we walked almost half of the way by foot in silence. 

I thought about us. 

I wanted to move on, I wanted to have fresh air between us. 

I did not want his sister between us and my shoulders tensed to even think that thought. I felt horrible for it but my feelings did not waver. I would do anything and everything, forgive and try to forget, but I wanted him to exist beyond her. I was an only child, I had no parents, no family. I knew nothing of having a familiar bond, of a connection that transcended distance - whether physical or emotional.