Chapter 41 - The Duty of Teaching

Students were whispering confused around me. 

I stood still and looked intently at the Boggart of me. 

It was as if I stood by a mirror.

I rose my right hand up and the Boggart followed suit, their hand stained with thick crimson with a slight smile on its face. 

The boggart reached their hand for me. 

I slowly reached to touch it.

"Ridikkulus!" Professor Hecat banished my own Boggart before I had the chance to make impact. "That is it for today! Please read Chapter 6 and 7 in your Advance copies," she informed to the room hurried. "Miss Natrix, please remain," Professor Hecat said to me as she inserted a large brass key in the closet to lock the doors. 

I stood dumbfounded still with my finger extended, a cold washing me over. 

Everyone was making it out the door, many looking over at me with confusion and fear. Sebastian was already gone before I had noticed.

"Miss Natrix," Professor Hecat began to speak as she went to the classroom door to close it. "I want to apologise for allowing you to face a Boggart. It was a grave mistake on my part with all that had happened last school year."

"I needed to," I interrupted her still cold. The lesson ended, the students disappeared and I was alone with Professor Hecat before I even knew it. "I need to be able to handle such situations."

"Those were initially my thoughts, but it was a mistake to do so openly in front of other students," Professor Hecat said with grief, looking over me carefully. 

She had seen my worries before opening the closet. 

"I would like to inform you that the events of last year were not your fault or mistake," she squinted thinking of the occurrences. 

She was there during the battle of Ranrok. 

"Thank you Professor. But it was and is my responsibility," I grew more uncomfortable being alone in the room with her. 

I went after where my bag was.

I did not want to talk about this anymore. Why had time moved so quickly? Where was everyone?

"That perhaps is the case, but do not think you are alone," she went on, sensing I was trying to alleviate and minimise the situation. "Professor Fig informed us all of the nature of last year's events. If you find yourself ever in need, please do not hesitate to seek help from the faculty," Hecat added. 

"Thank you. I will," I kept nodding hoping it was enough for me to be able to leave.

My bag was already on my shoulder and I started walking.

Professor Hecat remained unmoved and silent, but I felt her stare on the back of my head. I closed the door behind me and looked around. 

I don't know why I had thought Sebastian would have waited for me. 

Because he hadn't.

_____

Days passed in a blur. 

"Did Madam Kogawa ever talk to you about what happened with your broom?" Imelda whispered to me unexpectedly as we were sitting in the library for hours now.

"N-no?" I suddenly got reminded by it. 

It had been more than a month. How had I forgotten?

Had she just not found anything out?