Chapter 26 - Swallowed Whole**

"So would you like to accompany me to dinner? As friends?" Sebastian added the last part with some returned confidence, as a dull pause had rung between us after what I had said. 

I wanted to say yes but I knew that the whole school was now invested in my relationships with Sebastian and Garreth. I thought about how it would look like from afar. 

"I don't think it's a good idea right now," I answered and saw him being taken aback by it. "With everything that happened yesterday, I fear there might be some attention and whispers," I tried to explained. 

"Right," he relented, resuming restrain for me. 

"I shall see you tomorrow for Herbology," I tried to to still keep a friendly tone with him. 

He did not respond or even look up so I turned to walk out of the bookshelf made enclosure.

"Wait." 

I heard him call as I took a few steps.

I turned back and saw Sebastian still starring at the table, not having had moved an inch from where I had left him. 

"I cannot keep doing this," he finally said lifting his eyes to me.

He clasped his hands together, pinched and licked his lips before turning to me fully. 

I stood obediently still, acting as if there was a chance if I stood still enough my courage would return to me. 

Sebastian exhaled, "You are very much aware that I do not wish to be your friend," he stood up and took a few steps towards me, leaning on the table he just was reading at. "I told you yesterday that I do not wish to repeat myself. Yet, I feel the need," he sighed and rubbed his forehead as if to encourage himself to continue. 

My body had not moved  but I looked at him, waiting. 

"You occupy my thoughts a lot," he looked at the spot floor I was standing on. 

I wanted to brush off his sentiments to his most recent choice of entertainment, but the words felt as if they were held on to for a long time. 

I stood waiting. 

Sebastian clasped his hands in front of him again and picked at his knuckle, throwing them back at his sides as quickly as he had brought them to him. He took another few steps towards me. 

"I will never be Garreth Weasley," he started again, finally closing the distance between us. He took one of my hands firmly into his and kept looking at it as he spoke, "I have lied, schemed and... killed people I love for the people I love," he said the last word with great hesitance. "I know I have also asked you to accompany me in these escapades," his hand felt hot against mine. 

They were dry and rough as if having worked hard labour. 

He gripped my hand tighter as he spoke the next words. 

"And you did. You did it a lot more eloquently than I could even imagine, could even have Ominis re-enter dark magic. When you speak, you can make a man drink a glass of sand," he held my hand as if worried I would rip it out of him. 

But I stood waiting.

"But there is something beyond just a sense of awe for you," he released his grip on my hand for it to just lightly lay on the top of his palm. "But I do not have the words to you for what it is."

"Even with the aid of reading poetry?" I asked him partially due to an inability to hold the seriousness of the moment.

Partially wanting him to elaborate and keep speaking.