Chapter 57 - Bruised Flesh

"Lilith, are you sure you are alright?" Imelda repeated as I scrambled to the floor to pick up the dropped gift. "And where we-REYHU"

I pulled her sharply down with me by sleeve of hear cloak and her knees buckled. 

"Mh-mh!" I hummed to say 'no'. 

"Will I get an explanation?!" she whispered immediately. 

I just looked at her and she knew the answer. 

"Are you kidding me? Really? What could possibly be t-"

"Have you lost something?" Sebastian suddenly joined us, crouched on one knee on the floor. 

He looked nervously at me and I knew it was just to make sure I did not say anything. 

"We're fine!" I exclaimed, slightly louder than was necessarily and sharply stood up. 

"We are having a conversation Sallow," Imelda said crossing her arms, her jaw tightening. 

"About birthday soirées?" he awkwardly tried to remain in our presence. 

I fidgeted with the box, pulling at the loose strands from the bow. I just wanted to be left alone. The sudden reality of digging up a dead body, a body I had responsibility in being dead, crashed into my psyche. I wished Imelda could distract me and not ask me any questions but it was inconsiderate to even fantasise about it. I wished Sebastian would leave me alone. 

I did his bidding, his agenda was done now. I just wanted to be alone. 

"How is this any of your business?" Imelda said with an icy stare. 

"I'm Lilith's friend," his brows furrowed, now suddenly feeling as if he was in a genuine quarrel with Imelda. 

"Friend?" she laughed with an ironic high pitch, "You're barely ev-"

"Enough," I said without much energy. "I'm going to go and put this in my room. I'll see you later Imelda, alright? Thank you so much."

The words exited disjointed. 

"Fine," she gave a short and clipped answered, turning on her heels to head inside of the dinning hall. 

I saw Sebastian turning to give me a last look but I turned my back to him before we could make eye contact. 

I had missed three lessons today. What had Professor Sharp said?

"Do not allow sentiments delegate your schooling. You have already been put at a disadvantage to only be present for three years out of seven."

One of the classes I had missed was his. Again. 

____

I did not go to lunch, but went straight to class. I had Herbology, Charms and another Advanced Potions class, one which I had not covered the missed material for. 

I had my head down during the whole of the Herbology lesson, not even looking at Professor Garlick's presentation of clipping seedling leaves. The lack of sleep had gotten to me emotionally. I rested my head on my elbows, holding my cold stained hands against my neck. 

Professor Garlick was making rounds around the tables to see everyone's progress when I finally mustered to look to what needed to be done. 

Clip Mistletoes for the following year's hibernation. 

I went for the clips and clipped one leaf, a shiny plump red berry falling to the ground with a bounce.