Chapter 50 - Lilith, not Eve

The next day I saw him in Magical Theory. He was carrying loose books pressed into the sides body with his arm. He ruffled his hair and I could see he had trouble waking up. 

The lesson had already started but I kept looking at him. He caught my gaze and without any change in facial expression, made his way to my desk. 

"Today, we will start the subject of magical conduits and how they function. First and foremost being....?" Professor Nightlie asked the class to finish the sentence. 

She had started this year as a replacement for Professor Fig and she was a kind and engaging Professor, but every time I entered this classroom I had felt a sour taste in my mouth. What was more worrying was that the taste seemed to slowly decrease with the months. I felt horribly guilty for it .

Sebastian sat down as everyone exclaimed "wood" in unison. 

"Very good," Professor Nightlie continued. "There are 50 types of woods that are most popular for wand making but you will find that..."

The lesson went on and every now and then I would scribble something down. What took most of my attention was how close our arms were to each other on the table.

 What took most of my attention was how close our arms were to each other on the table

I could lightly feel the fabric of his shirt barely on me. 

We sat teetering on the edge of touching for the whole lesson and I left with a fluttering chest. 

____

"Lilith." 

I could have sworn I heard my name through my own yawn. I turned to look around. 

"Anselm," I cleared my throat and brushed my hair out of my face.

Two days had passed from him falling inside into the Boathouse with Jane. Me and Sebastian were on good terms and often sat together in classes and for lunch.

 I had just said goodbye to him as I was heading to Advance Potions. 

"I..." he came up and, for the first time, looked at me with human eyes. "I am not going to lie to you, I have been playing back the instance in the Boathouse between us."

"Pardon?" I replied confused. 

"Me and Jane intruding on you and Sallow. I wanted to... apologise. For saying the last comment. It was meant as a leg pull to Sallow, but I realise it must have not been incredibly pleasant for you to hear."

"It didn't have much of an impact as you think it had," I answered, once again taken back by his presence and choice to talk to me. 

"I see," he nodded and looked at his shoes. "I was overthinking things. Your name is Lilith, not Eve isn't it."

I tilted my head and squinted about his unusual comment.

He laughed as if remembering a joke. "Anyways, that is all. Excuse me for my strange behaviour."