Chapter 14 - Sympathy for the Devil

"That was really fun," we now stood by the entrance back to our dormitories. 

It was well past midnight.

"Agreed. Thank you for stepping outside of your comfort zone Lilith," he turned to me. "The last game is definitely amongst my favourite games," Ominis was still happy over his loss. "I will however look it over by myself to see what I should have done differently. Thank you for finally playing," he looked at Sebastian. 

"Ominis you're still the most brilliant wizard's chess player there is. This was just luck," Sebastian didn't want to acknowledge his win. 

"Perhaps you're just not as rubbish as you believe you are," Ominis answered him. "Thank you friends, but I will head to bed now," he bid farewell to us. 

"I will as well," I followed suit. 

"Could I exchange a few words with you Lilith?" Sebastian quickly asked. 

"Goodnight," Ominis said, taking his cue. 

"Goodnight," I call back still standing in front of Sebastian. 

We stand in silence until we heard a door open and shut in the distance, now understanding that we were completely alone. 

"I wanted to apologise for my behaviour. Especially in Hogsmeade," Sebastian finally said, looking guilt ridden. "It was unacceptable and reprehensible. I should have never laid a hand on you," he finally musters. 

I pinched my lips not knowing what to answer him. 

"I wanted to apologise for everything," he added waiting for a response. 

But no words would come. 

"Say something," he finally whispered, switching the weight on his feet looking at the ground. 

"I forgive you," comes out of my mouth without my effort.

Sebastian looked up into my eyes and I lost myself in hazel. 

My hands were itching.

He took a step towards me and I turned my head away, starring into the wall next to us. 

"Right," he says and takes half a step back. "I guess the rumours of you and Garreth are true," he says pinching his lips, putting his hands into the pockets of his trousers. 

"You and Charlotte?" I once again spoke before thinking. 

"Me and Charlotte," he repeated after me nodding, taking a few paces around the room.

"Are you not?" I asked.

He shook his head with the same pinched lips, leaning on the wall and looking at me. 

I didn't understand and just looked at him. 

He just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't like these games, I just want so directness and clarity," I rolled my neck and starred into the ceiling. I returned back and looked at him again. He hadn't moved, still leaning seemingly waiting for me. "You are snogging the girl publicly in front of everyone. The whole Prefects' Bathroom incident. You want to tell me that all meant nothing? And if so, would she agree if asked the same question?" I blurted out. 

"I don't have feelings for her," he finally says after a pause.

"Sebastian, you're being unkind to her if she does," I say looking at him, feeling a great sympathy for Charlotte.

"Ok," he exhales and takes his hands out of his pockets to cross them over his chest. "Could I ask what is the case with you and Garreth?" he asked with genuine interest and slight worry.

I looked at him and shrugged my shoulders. 

"Ok, I understand what you're doing," he say with a small grin and he straightens from the wall. "But please, I gave you an answer."

"I don't know what to tell you. We have spent some time together recently," I said honestly. 

I really did not know my feelings towards him. I perhaps sensed that there were some, but Sebastian was making it difficult to explore them. 

"Ok, who was better then?" Sebastian suddenly asks with a smirk. 

I look at him with widened eyes, knowing that my reaction gave away that we had kissed. I was lost for words. 

He started laughing. "I'll take your lack of answer then to mean me," he shrugged and walked a few steps to our dorm rooms.

"Both were different," I finally say as he walks past me, following my head to his direction. 

"Pity," he stoped and looked down the stairs. "Goodnight then," he resumes walking giving me a brief glance before walking down. 

I was fearing these late night interactions were becoming a tradition.