Chapter 31 - Pruning and Patience

I was gently trembling from the cold although he had his arms around me. I was burrowed into his chest. 

I needed to put my shirt back on, I was freezing. I felt the need before I was awake, and I kept trying to fight back the idea.

I started to blink slowly letting the gentle morning light wake me. I looked at Sebastian who was aware of my stirring. 

But it felt like we both opened our eyes at the same time. 

We looked at each other and exchanged a glance before jolting up realising where we were.

He grabbed his trousers pocket for his watch. 

"Merlin in... ah... ok. It's 5:15 AM," he calmed down and exhaled. He turned to me and stopped. He kept looking at me, seemingly suddenly wordless.

I realised I did not have a shirt on. 

I covered as much as I could of myself with my arms. I still had my brasier but it was more than what I wanted to be seen in. 

Less than what I wanted to be seen in?

"s-Sorry," Sebastian cleared his throat.

I stretched my hand out to summon the removed shirt from the floor and put my shirt back and adjusted it. 

"You are really becoming proficient in the non-verbal spell work," he said admiringly as I was now also putting the vest back on. 

"I guess so," I smiled still buttoning the buttons feverishly. 

"How much can you do?" he asked intrigued. 

I looked at him and rose my hand for all of the buttons of his shirt to pop open in a ripple. 

"MERLIN," He jumped back and turned around abashed, "Got it! We are even!"

"Not even close," I laughed feeling a little bit less self-conscious. 

I saw a glimpse of his lower defined midriff and it was playing back in my head. 

Nevertheless I did feel a return of shyness for him and he seemed of me so as well. It felt like last night was a shared dream. 

"What's your first class today?" I asked to break the silence. 

"I... umm.... I think we have Herbology?" he said trying to get himself together, buttoning the last buttons now. 

"We should get back to the dormitories before everyone wakes," I said finishing my last button and clasp of my leather holster. 

As if nothing happened, except I could still feel his arms around me and I faintly smelled like cologne. 

"Yes," he cleared his throat again and he rose up. 

I stood up and we made it to the latch, casting our disillusionment charm before descending.

_____

We stood at the hallway of the dormitories, lingering.

I waited for a second, as I placed my hand on the door handle. 

"Natrix?" Sebastian whispers to me. 

"Yes?" I turned. 

He just looked at me his own hand on the handle. "... Just that. Nothing," he smiled and pushed the door open with a tiny creak, the corridor flooding with the sounds of somebody snoring inside. 

I waited until he disappeared and closed the door behind him to open mine. 

Everyone was asleep and I quickly took my shoes off and went under the covers.