Chapter 17 An Evil Person

The next few days blur into a repetitive routine: I leave for the office early in the morning, often before Grace is fully awake

The next few days blur into a repetitive routine: I leave for the office early in the morning, often before Grace is fully awake. I return late in the evening, and our interaction has reduced to the bare minimum.

We communicate through eye contact with little conversation exchanged.

One morning, as I step out of the bathroom after my shower, I find a servant apologising to Grace, "I'm sorry-"

"Sorry, my foot." She hurls the cup of coffee at him, yelling at him. "I asked you to bring hot coffee, not cold, you idiot."

I march to her and grasp her hand in fury. "How dare you? You're in my house, and here you can't treat servants like this."

Her voice reveals frustration as she gives a curt response. "Just leave me, Steve."

Unwilling to let the matter go, I insist, my voice firm, "Just apologise to him right now, Grace."

"No, I won't." However, she remains resolute, refusing to back down, further raising my anger.

Exasperated, I give her a final warning, my voice stern. "I'm asking you for the last time to apologise to him. If you don't, you'll face the worst."

Her response remains unwavering. "I won't. Just leave me."

"Now don't blame me for this." After saying this, I drag her to the bathroom while she keeps struggling and shouting.

"Now stay here the entire day." I push her inside, and as she dashes towards the door, I shut it on her face and lock her inside the bathroom.

What is she turning me into? An evil person. I don't like the person I'm becoming because of her, but I'm determined to teach her a lesson–that mistreating anyone in this house is unacceptable.

I turn to the servant and apologise to him on behalf of my arrogant wife's behaviour.

At the breakfast table, when Dad asks about Grace. I lie to him, saying she's not feeling well, and ask him not to bother her so she can rest.

I leave a servant outside our room with strict instructions not to allow my father inside.

After this, I leave for the office, not satisfied with my actions.

***

As I enter my cabin after a meeting, Jace and Mike are already sitting there.

As I settle down with them on the sofa, Mike inquires, "Hello, dude, how your contract marriage life is going?"

I shake my head, recalling the morning incident. "Don't ask, Mike."

Jace leans forward, his eyebrows raised. "It seems like there's a story there. Care to share?"