Chapter 66 It's A Miracle

Steve's P.O.V.

Grace and I are returning home after our unsuccessful mission. She's fallen asleep, her head resting on my chest, silent tears slipping from her closed eyes. I hold her closer, my gaze fixed on the passing scenery outside the car window.

Today, she fought like a warrior to get back our daughter, but fate had other plans for us.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that the monster was playing mind games with us. He hadn't actually kidnapped our daughter; he was merely toying with our emotions to get to Grace. A part of me wanted Grace to kill him on the spot, but it wasn't enough. I want that bastard to suffer every day until his last breath for the pain he inflicted on my wife over the years. His actions have left scars on her soul that may never fully heal.

And today, he committed one more sin by lying to us and making us feel vulnerable. When he demanded Grace to strip before him, I nearly lost control, ready to storm in and beat the life out of him. But Max held me back with great difficulty, reminding me that we needed to remain patient for our daughter's sake. However, as soon as we learned of his deception, we hurried inside without wasting a single second. After consoling Grace, I beat that fucking asshole, rendering him unconscious.

Now, every day, he will be tortured in prison with brutality. I'll exact revenge for every tear Grace has shed because of him. He'll beg to die, but he won't find any mercy.

My fists clench with rage as I recall the sight of Grace standing before that monster, vulnerable and forced to endure his vile demands.

As the driver halts the car in front of our home, Grace's eyes flutter open, and she looks up at me, her gaze filled with pain and exhaustion.

"Steve," she whispers, "I tried so hard to get our daughter, but..." Fresh tears roll down her cheeks.

I wipe away her tears with tenderness, my heart aching as I witness her distress. She has been strong and fearless for the past week, and she gives me the courage to carry on. However, today she appears fragile, and it shatters my soul to see her in this state.

Now, I have to be strong for her because she needs me.

I clasp her face, fixing my eyes on her. "Grace, you did everything you could. You fought with every ounce of strength you had, and I couldn't be prouder of you."

She nods, her lips trembling as she struggles to hold back her tears. "But she's still out there, Steve. Our daughter is still in danger, and I don't know what to do. I just can't stop thinking about her."

I pull her into my arms, holding her close as she buries her face in my chest. "We'll find her, love. I promise you, we'll do whatever it takes to bring her home safely. We won't rest until she's back in our arms." I seal my promise with a soft kiss on her forehead and a lone tear stream down my face.

***

We enter my father's room hand in hand and find Evan sitting on his grandfather's tummy. As his tiny eyes fall on us, he hurriedly steps down from the bed, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

As he crawls towards us, a smile spreads across our faces, and for a moment, we forget about all our sorrows. His innocent joy brings a glimmer of light into our darkened world.

Grace crouches down to scoop him up into her arms, showering him with kisses, and the room fills with his delightful giggles.

I kneel on the floor and engulf both of them in my arms. Evan giggles, and it is like music to my ears, soothing the ache in my heart.

As we pull away from Evan, he crawls outside the room, calling for his sister. "Sissy... Sissy..."

Our chests become heavy with pain and tears trickle down our eyes, seeing him searching for his sister with innocence and sadness in his eyes.