Chapter 37 Our Paths Cross Again

As the days of my pregnancy pass, the growing life within me becomes the sole source of my solace.

Yet, no matter how much I try to focus on the baby's arrival, the void left by Steve's absence remains a constant ache. The baby becomes my reason to live, but the longing for the man I love remains. I need him on this journey of my life.

When I see other couples, I miss him even more. I wish I had realised his importance in my life earlier.

As I settle my life with Elsa in London, I gradually lose interest in making vlogs. It feels like the excitement that fueled my creativity has faded.

The three months of our contract marriage haven't just changed me; I find myself feeling dependent on Steve. Yes, it surprises me too. In the past, I teased Steve, urging him to join my vlogs, lives, and pictures just to annoy him. However, somewhere along the way, his presence became so crucial to me that I wanted to include him in my social media whenever possible. I enjoyed it when someone commented that we looked like a power couple or were made for each other. It used to make me happy, yet I was so oblivious that I had actually fallen for him. I was being stupid, not realising my own feelings.

I decide to start working as a receptionist in a local cafe because I can't sit idle and burden myself on Elsa.

She, concerned for my well-being, suggests that I shouldn't have to work and should focus on taking care of myself during the pregnancy.

"I can't sit idle, Elsa. It's not just about the financial aspect; working will keep my mind occupied. I can't just sit around, it'll drive me crazy." I explain to her.

***

One day, while cutting vegetables in the kitchen, a sudden slip of the knife leads to a cut on my finger. As the pain shoots through, memories of Steve rush back. I recall the moment when he, with care and tenderness, had wiped the blood when I accidentally cut my finger.

The tears that well up in my eyes are not just from the physical pain, but from the emotional ache.

"Hey, little ones, you've brought so much joy into my life. But you know what? Mumma misses your daddy a lot. I wish he could be here to share this happiness with us." I sob, placing my hand on my baby bump.

Yesterday only, in my sonography report, I came to know that two lives are growing within me instead of one. This revelation doubled my excitement and joy.

***

As my pregnancy days pass, I decide to join parenting classes. It becomes a way for me to prepare for my twins' arrival and strive to become the best mom I can be.

As I attend these classes, surrounded by other expectant parents, I wish Steve could be a part of this experience.

Many times, I pick up my phone to call him, but step back because I can't put this responsibility on him and ruin his life once again with my presence. He despises me so much that he'll never accept me.

As the days pass, my routine includes not just work and classes but also moments where I talk to my growing babies about their daddy. It's a one-sided conversation filled with the love and longing I hold for Steve, a way to keep his memory alive for them.

One day, Elsa prepares my favourite dish because I was craving it. As I take a bite, I go back to a day when Steve had cooked this very dish for me on my birthday.

Flashback

On my birthday, Steve's father surprises me by suggesting that Steve should prepare my favourite dish as a special birthday gift. The idea catches me off guard, since I've never witnessed Steve in the kitchen before.

Contract Marriage: I've always loved youOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara