Chapter 38 Hello, my babies!

Steve's P.O.V.

In the hospital, I pace outside the labour room, my heart pounding in sync with the ticking clock on the wall. I'm anxious and excited both as I await news about Grace and our unborn child.

I still can't believe I'm going to become a father in a few minutes. This feeling is driving me insane.

After what feels like an eternity, the door springs open, and two nurses emerge, each cradling a tiny bundle wrapped in a blanket. My brows narrow in confusion.

What the fuck? Two babies? Am I dreaming?

I rub my eyes and blink, trying to process the unexpected news.

My eyes widen in shock as one of the nurses informs me that Grace has given birth to twins—a girl and a boy.

Oh, God! The truth is beyond my imagination that I became the father of not just one baby; I became the father of twins.

What is happening in my life? Shock after shock.

I can't even put into words how amazed and overjoyed I am.

"Twins?" I stammer, my voice barely audible.

As a nurse nods and extends one baby towards me, wrapped in a blue blanket, my hands shiver because I'll be holding a baby for the first time. They both are so tiny and look so fragile. I can't take my eyes off them.

"Don't worry, Mr Grey. It's very easy to hold them. Support their head and neck." The nurse advises as she carefully places the baby in my arms. I follow her instructions, feeling the overwhelming joy in that tender moment.

As his tiny hand wraps around my finger, I am overwhelmed with a sense of wonder at the miracle of the little life I helped create.

The nurse then hands me the second bundle, wrapped in a pink blanket. My eyes meet the delicate features of my baby girl, and a surge of emotions engulfs me. Twins—a son and a daughter, a perfect and unexpected blessing. My eyes become moist with genuine joy.

"Hello, my babies." There is a constant smile on my face as I marvel at their beautiful and innocent faces, realising that my life has changed forever in this single moment.

They're sleeping soundly in my arms. It's so peaceful to watch them.

The nurse assures me that both babies are healthy and doing well. But suddenly I recall Grace, who lies unconscious in the labour room. "How's their mother, nurse?" I ask, concerned.

Although I'm angry with her for hiding our babies, I still can't stop caring about her because I love her, and now I love her even more because today she has blessed me with two precious bundles of joy.

"She is fine, just unconscious. The delivery went well, and she's stable." The nurse reassures me, and relief washes over me at the news of Grace's well-being.

With the twins cradled in my arms, a nurse guides me to a nearby nursery, where they'll be taken care of.

With a smile on my face, I watch them rest peacefully in their cribs, wondering how lucky I am to become the father of these two miracles.

I also wonder about Grace's decision to keep her pregnancy a secret.

If today I hadn't met her in the cafe, she would have kept the twins away from me forever. This thought breaks my heart and makes me angry. No matter whatever the reason, I'll never forgive you for this, Grace. Never!

***

Grace's P.O.V.

I wake up on the hospital bed, groggy and sore. As my eyes adjust to the surroundings, memories of meeting Steve after eight months, experiencing labour pain, and giving birth to our twins flood back.

I still can't believe that I met Steve.

My eyes desperately search for him and our babies, but the room is empty. Subtle anxiety grips my chest as I wonder about his reaction to the revelation of the twins and my decision to keep the pregnancy a secret.

As I see a nurse entering the room, I ask her, "Where are my babies?" My voice trembles in fear.

"Mam, their father has just left with them." My heart almost skips beating, and my eyes widen in terror upon learning this.

Is he snatching my babies from me for keeping my pregnancy a secret? Will he not even let me see them?

My breath becomes heavy as I feel a wave of panic at the thought of never being able to see my babies. They are the only reason I'm still alive; I can't afford to lose them. I need them.

Without another thought, I push myself to get up, ignoring all the pain, determined to find Steve and our babies.

"Mam, you need rest. Where are you going?" The nurse tries to stop me, insisting that I need rest, but all I want right now is to see my twins, who grew inside me for months.

I burst through the hospital doors, scanning the surroundings frantically. Steve can't do this to me. I just know. He's not cruel.

I reach the parking lot, where I see Steve standing near the car.

Relief washes over me for a few seconds, but as I approach him, my joy is overshadowed by the fact that the twins are inside the car. The happiness of giving birth to our children is overshadowed by the fear of losing them forever.

"Steve, please let me see them. I beg you." I plead, my voice trembling with a mix of emotions.

"You hid about them from me, Grace." He looks at me, his eyes filled with a mix of anger and disappointment. "You don't have the right to see them now. This is your punishment," he declares in a cold tone.

Tears well in my eyes and my heart shatters at his words. I never expected the consequences of my decision would be so severe.

I deserve punishment. But not this. I can't live without them. I want him and our babies—both in my life. And now I'm willing to go to any extent to make that happen.

I beg him, my voice breaking, "Steve, they're my children too. Please, just let me hold them once."

"Why, Grace? Why do I let you hold them when you decided to keep them hidden from me forever?" He asks, his eyes fill with anger.

How do I make him understand that I did all this for him? I distanced myself from him when I needed him the most during my pregnancy, all for his sake. But now, I'm filled with regret for the sacrifice I made.

"I thought—thought you didn't want them, Steve. I—" I try to explain, but he cuts me off.

"Wow! You didn't even bother to ask me if I wanted them or not." He glares at me.

As I squeeze my eyes shut, fresh tears trickle down my cheeks. I'm regretting so much for my stupid decision. I should've told him.

"Steve, I know I'm at fault. But please don't give me such a hard punishment. At least let me see them for once." I plead, tears streaming down my face, my gaze fixed on the car window, yearning for their glimpse.

"No, Grace. You can't see them. This is the consequence of your actions." He declares in a firm tone, breaking my heart.

No, he wouldn't do this to me. This isn't the Steve I fell for. He wasn't the kind of person who would snatch babies from their mothers.

He is snatching my babies from me in front of my eyes, and I'm still not ready to believe this. Deep down, I know he can't be this cruel. People change, but not to this extent.

"Steve—" Suddenly I feel dizzy and faint in the strong arms of Steve. My last thoughts are of the babies I may never get to hold.

***

What do you think what will happen next?

And is Steve doing right?

Love Mehak❤️