Chapter 36 I'm pregnant!

Grace's P.O.V.

Flashback (The morning after my last sexual encounter with Steve)

As I wake up in Steve's arms, the realisation hits me hard that this will be the last time I wake up to his loving embrace and savour the intoxicating scent of his presence. I hold him a little tighter, as if trying to freeze this moment in time.

I have no clue why I feel a heaviness in my heart; our relationship was destined to end one day.

I'm gazing at Steve's face, not even blinking my eyes. It's hard to explain, but tears start welling up as I think that this might be the last time I see him up close. The last time.

I just wish I could freeze this moment for a few more seconds. Just a few more.

What's happening to me? Why this sudden uneasiness? Why?

Maybe it's because I did wrong with Steve. I can't deny that it wasn't his fault, it was mine. So this uneasiness, this feeling I'm going through is because I did wrong with him, with his father. I played with his father's trust, knowingly or unknowingly.

I have to make things right before leaving. Yes.

I exhale a deep breath and gently disentangle myself from Steve's embrace, careful not to wake him. Giving him another glance, I get up from the bed and then retrieve the divorce papers from the drawer, which I've already signed.

Following that, I take out a letter that I wrote for Dad. I want to make things right before leaving the house because I've realised that I was so wrong to force Steve into marrying me by manipulating his father.

After getting ready, I place the letter outside Dad's room, then I return to Steve's room.

"Goodbye, Mr. Steve Grey. I'm sure you'll have a great life without me." As I lean in to kiss his forehead, tears trickle down my cheeks.

Even after writing the letter and leaving it in front of Dad's room, why do I still feel so uneasy after seeing Steve? Why?

After pressing my lips on his forehead, I wipe my tears, compose myself, and head out with the luggage.

However, as I pause in the doorway and turn around, the room unfolds memories of the three months we shared. All the flashbacks play in front of my eyes: the way he drew me close in anger, the stolen glances, the way he kissed my lips standing beside the bed, and the passion we shared in every corner of this room.

The emotions tied to these memories are overwhelming, and it feels like I can't escape them.

"I'm leaving him but taking so many memories with me," I murmur, wiping away tears that trace down my cheeks.

Last time, staring at Steve with a painful smile on my face, I leave the room, ignoring the heaviness in my chest.

***

When I reach my father's mansion and confess the truth to him that I entered into a three-month marriage contract with Steve, he shuts me up with a tight slap.

"Grace, I always listened to you, never stopped you from doing anything. And you? You deceived me. I just don't want to see your face." As he yells at me, I shed silent tears, my hand placed on my cheek, and my eyes glued to the floor.

I sob, "Dad-"

"Just get lost, Grace, if you don't want me to throw you out." He stands, turning his back to me.

"I'm sorry, Dad. I didn't want to hurt you-"

Before I can complete my sentence, he turns towards me, grabs my arm, and drags me out of the mansion.