Chapter 63 The Twins' First Birthday

Grace's P.O.V.

A Week Later

Tomorrow is the twins' first birthday. We had planned a birthday trip to Steve's private island with them, but now I can't even cut the cake because Giana is still missing. We were so excited to celebrate their first birthday.

When will God stop testing my strength to endure pain? It's becoming unbearable.

Olivia regained consciousness the next day after Giana was found missing. She recounted that someone wearing a black mask had made her unconscious before taking Giana. Every time I wonder who could kidnap my little princess, my breathing becomes heavy, thinking about that monster.

Tomorrow should be a day filled with joy and celebration, but it feels heavy without Giana around. I can't focus on anything other than the empty crib where Giana should be. Every corner of our home holds memories of her laughter and smiles, reminding us of what we've lost.

I'm concerned for Evan as well. His once bright eyes are now dull with sadness, and he refuses to eat or play without his sister by his side. My heart breaks into a million pieces every time I see him standing by Giana's empty crib, tears streaming down his cheeks as he calls out for her. Steve and I try our best to comfort him, but our efforts feel futile.

Steve suggests we should celebrate the twins' birthday for Evan's sake, insisting that Evan needs a change of atmosphere and a distraction from the pain. But the thought of celebrating without Giana feels like a betrayal, and I can't bring myself to go through with it.

How can I enjoy a birthday when my daughter is missing? How can I smile and pretend that everything is okay when our hearts are shattered into pieces? And how can we celebrate when our family is torn apart? I can't do this.

Trying to soothe Evan to sleep, I walk through the corridors. He is nestled in my arms, his tiny hand clutching my shirt. I pause outside Dad's room, my steps faltering as I hear the muffled sobs emanating from inside.

As I peek inside, my heart shatters at the sight of Steve, his shoulders shaking with silent tears as he shares his pain with his father.

"Dad, I can't bear it. I've already lost Giana, and with her, I feel like I've lost Grace too," his voice trembles with pain. "The agony of Giana's disappearance is unbearable, and seeing Grace suffer like this every day, it's tearing me apart."

Dad embraces him tightly, his eyes glistening with tears.

Fuck! What am I doing? I'm making Steve suffer more because of my agony. He's trying so hard to be strong for both of us and here I am, drowning in my grief, not giving him the support he needs.

No. Now I won't burden him anymore. I'll stand strong for him and Evan. And I'll do everything to bring back our daughter. I have faced the worst situations in my life and I have always emerged stronger. This time will be no different.

"Mama won't let you and your daddy cry anymore because of her," I murmur to Evan, stroking his hair.

***

When Steve returns to the room, I compose myself and approach him. "I'm ready."

"Huh?" He gives me a confused look.

"To celebrate the birthday of the twins for Evan," I tell him.

"Love." He clasps my face. "It's okay if you don't want to. You don't have to force yourself."

"Steve, I want to do this for Evan." I place my hand on his face, fixing my eyes on him. "Although we're not in the right state of mind, we have to look after Evan. We need to cheer him up."