Chapter 12: Adjustments

Maybe one day it would occur to me that there's more to life than being in a top secret organization

Maybe one day it would occur to me that there's more to life than being in a top secret organization. One day I'll have to get married, settle down, and have kids. I'll live like those families on the TV in their two-story home built in the eighties with a green yard and white picket fence. My neighbors will be nosy and at our Sunday brunches, they'll ask about the scar on my forehead. I can tell them some little white lie that they never question because in their perfect little neighborhood, everyone is boring like them and they'd never suspect anything different.

I'll have an actual, normal life. 

It seemed so plain, yet so relaxing. I needed a little plain in my life. Considering my rocky past and unique present, having a plain life was both a dream and a nightmare. 

But that wouldn't happen for a long time. And I mean a very long time. I'm living with Earth's mightiest heroes, so that type of lifestyle was currently far out of my reach. 

Outside of my room, it was an absolute wreck. We were still making some adjustments to our new living conditions. It was a bit rougher on the women's side of things because we were very independent individuals now living with several men. 

"Thor, no!" Natasha yelled, a loud crash following. After chaining together a very crude sentence consisting of only swear words, she groaned loudly. "You men are hopeless."

"Just go with Kylie, then! Have a girl talk!" Tony suggested. 

"Maybe I will," she huffed, stomping her way to my room. She swung the door open and donned a completely annoyed look on her face. She looked about ready to explode. 

With a nervous smile, I asked, "So, how's it going?"

"I can't live with these people," she confessed, throwing herself onto my bed. Her red hair sprawled out onto my sheets and covered parts of her face.

"Come on, it's not that bad!"

She looked at me with a dead expression and said, "Thor nearly broke the television because he was confused and didn't understand the concept of buttons and the little symbols on them. He claimed he was being damned by the Midgardian's ways."

"We can manage," I assured her. Her annoyed expression was gone and replaced by an exhausted one. "Think of it as a long term mission." 

"It's so easy for you to say," she spat. 

She later forced me to stay in the living room to witness the havoc. It wasn't as terrible as Nat had described. Bruce looked fairly calm, Thor was trying to figure out how the appliances worked without sorcery, Tony was nagging Bruce with blueprints for a suit, Clint was sleeping, and Steve was nowhere to be found. 

"Oh, she's finally out of the den," Tony announced, looking up from his one-sided conversation with Bruce. "Good for you."

"I expected a complete mess," I admitted, looking around the room.