Chapter 26: Love On The Brain

Steve and I didn't tell anyone what happened that night

Steve and I didn't tell anyone what happened that night. We decided that it would be best to just take things slow and not get everyone else caught up in our crazy world.

Of course, they'd see us talking again, and we noticed their smiles whenever Steve and I would exchange a few words. Once again, we were a happy team. 

During the awkward time that I completely ignored Steve, I could tell that the whole team had felt the tension, maybe even more than I could. Even with my back turned to them, I could feel their eyes shift from me to Steve, with the magnitude of Nat's death stare overpowering all the others.

It made me feel guilty whenever the room would be silent when I walked in. I knew that the quietness of the team was all because of me and the fact that I was too stubborn to talk about how I felt and why I felt that way. They shot sympathetic looks that begged me to stop with my emotional fit. 

Half of the reason why I made up with Steve was to get rid of the tension and weirdness when we were all together.

When they first saw us say hi, their faces immediately lit up. Tony's mouth hung open, and Nat had to pinch Clint to prove to him that they were not witnessing a hologram version of us. They enjoyed the fact that Steve and I were okay again so much that they didn't bother to ask about how we made up. 

That's how it was, until Nat barged into my room. 

"Spill. Now," she demanded, grabbing my phone out of my hand and throwing it onto the ground. As I tried to get up to see if she had broken the damn thing, she pushed me back down, a stern look on her face. 

I huffed. "Spill what?"

"When did you and Steve talk?" I felt bad for keeping her in the dark about that night, and the wide smile on her face was enough to make me spill. Everything.

"I had this nightmare, long story short, Crimson-me forced me to kill Steve and said that I was destined to kill people. Steve woke me up and said that I was screaming in my sleep. I asked him to stay the night."

Her smile immediately turned into a frown. She pulled me into a hug saying, "Oh, Ky, you needed someone to stay because it helps you sleep better. I'm sorry I didn't run to your side."

"It's fine," I assured her, patting her back. "I hadn't screamed in my sleep since I moved in with Tony. You're no longer used to hearing the sound of someone trying to fight their demons at three in the morning, and it's okay. I don't blame you."

Guilt was written all over her face and she huffed. I kept telling her it was fine, but she didn't budge.

I continued on with my story. "He asked why I was afraid to love, and I explained, soon realizing that I just need to stop being so scared and I kissed him."

Not long after, I had to cover my ears to block out the excited and ear-piercing squeals coming from the woman in front of me. Despite seeing the pained and tortured look on my face, she didn't calm down until Thor had literally run through my door.