Chapter 22: Felt It

"Come on, Kylie

"Come on, Kylie. I know you're in there," Steve groaned, knocking on my door. I could practically feel his frustration radiating through the wood.

Little did he know that I was standing right behind the door, debating whether or not I should open it. I bit down on my lip, replaying the moments leading up to the kiss over and over in my head. 

This was the exact situation I tried to avoid, except that I ran away instead of Steve doing so. 

"Kylie," he sighed. "Open up, please."

"Ms. Jennings went out, Mr. Rogers," JARVIS reminded him.

"JARVIS, I heard you both talking. I know she's here," he huffed.

My hand hovered over the knob, and I hesitated. Then at the last second, I willed myself to turn that damn knob and open the door. Me being me, I immediately regretted it the moment I saw his face.

I attempted to shut the door, but he placed his hand on it, slightly pushing on it to keep it open.

"Can we talk?" Steve begged, his eyes sad and darker. His hair was disheveled, as he probably ran his hand through it way too many times.

"There's nothing to talk about," I retaliated, trying to push on the door.

"We both know you're not going to win at this game," he chuckled softly. "I have super strength."

I let off on the pressure, letting the door fully swing open. 

Giving up completely, I walked over to my bed and sat down, asking, "What do you want to talk about?"

He took a deep breath and sat at the edge of my bed. 

"You know what I want to talk about."

"And I don't want to talk about it, Steve," I groaned, slamming a pillow into my face.

"Why not?" he questioned as he fiddled with his thumbs. "Tell me you didn't feel anything."

"Of course I felt something, Steve! I've been feeling a certain way towards you since I met you."

"Then why haven't you said anything?"

"Because we aren't normal people! You're a super soldier, I'm an ex-assassin. We're not supposed to have a shot at a normal life. We're a part of an elite team of enhanced people, for crying out loud!"

I shot up, angrily throwing the pillow into my lap. Steve met my gaze, his blue eyes piercing through me.

"It's not a bad thing! We can have a shot at having a relationship, who said that our differences from everyone else deprives us of these things?"

I grunted, running a hand through my long hair. "It's hard. It's not practical. People like us do not get a happy ending. We end up in caskets before we retire."