Chapter 33: Aftermath

It was tough to get a wink of sleep when I was constantly waking up to check up on the knocked-out super soldier

Sam, on the other hand, was snoring his life away in the other chair. He was an absolute sweetheart and offered to stay with me here. I told him that he could go back home, but he had insisted. Not to mention that his bromance with Steve was a huge factor in deciding to remain. 

It was about three in the morning and I had woken up to the machine's constant beeping. I lifted my head to check on Steve once again. 

His lips were slightly parted to breathe and still sat in the same slightly upright position. The bruising on his face had began to heal and the swelling went down. He still hadn't regained consciousness, but at the rate he was healing, I knew that it wouldn't be too far in the future. 

With a content smile, I put my head back down and drifted off to sleep. This time, I was able to stay asleep. 

I woke up to him squeezing my hand. Immediately, my eyes shot open and I lifted my head to look at him.

"Riley," he croaked out, his eyes opening slightly.

"What?" 

"We should name our dog Riley," he repeated, a small grin spreading on his face. 

I had started to tear up at his sentence and cupped his face, saying, "Anything you want, babe."

"Don't cry," he pleaded softly. "That was the last thing I heard and I wish it wasn't."

I lightly smacked his wrist and scolded him. "Don't you ever do that. Ever again." 

He winced and joked, "Ow, you just gave me another injury."

My angry expression soon softened and I threw my arms around him, letting my tears fall on his chest. He laughed quietly and brought his hand up to stroke my hair to comfort me.

"I thought I lost you. I thought you were dead and when I saw you in this bed, I was just so happy you weren't gone."

"I'm sorry. I really am," he sighed. "It was selfish of me. I wish I hadn't put you through that. It broke me to hear you beg me like that, but I wasn't thinking straight and thought I could turn Bucky around."

I nodded and admitted, "I was selfish too. I understand that you wanted him to go back to who he was before Hydra got to him."

In that moment, Sam began to wake up. 

"On your left," Steve smugly said to him. Sam looked up and returned the smile.

"My man," he chuckled. He looked over at me and boasted, "See? I told you he'd be fine."

"Shut up, Wilson."

As the nurse came to check on Steve, I stepped outside to take a call from Nat.

"Hey, what's up?" I greeted.