Chapter 5: Your Plan Is?

The team gathered on the bridge and monitored security footage as Fury interrogated Loki in his cell

The team gathered on the bridge and monitored security footage as Fury interrogated Loki in his cell. We were all a little on edge as we waited to hear of his diabolical plan.

Fury eyed down Loki before speaking. 

"In case it's unclear, if you try to escape, you so as much scratch that glass —" Fury threatened, pressing a button that opened the metal panels on the floor to reveal a deep pit, "— it's thirty-thousand feet straight down into a steel trap. You get how that works? Ant... boot."

"It's an impressive cage. Not built, I think, for me," Loki replied with a shrug, stretching his neck to get a good look in the chasm below. Seeing him take this whole thing very calmly gave me nothing but worry.

"Built for something a lot stronger than you."

"Oh, I've heard. A mindless beast, makes play he's still a man. How desperate are you that you call on such lost creatures to defend you?" Loki questioned, a sinister smile plastering itself on his face.

Bruce, standing behind the seat next to me, tapped on the leather. He looked up momentarily, met my eyes, and looked back down.

"How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace and you kill 'cause it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did," Fury said angrily.

Loki let out a laugh. "Ooh. It burns you to have come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share. And then to be reminded what real power is."

Fury walked away, but turned to Loki for one last time. "Well, let me know if 'real power' wants a magazine or something."

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Bruce asked sarcastically.

"He's going to drag this out," said Steve. "Thor, what's his play?"

The god had his back turned on all of us. He was lost in thought, rubbing his pointer finger and thumb together as he answered.

"He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard or any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the Earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

"Alien armies. Fun," I muttered. The idea of dealing with beings from outer space was both horrifying and intriguing. 

Bruce took his glasses off. "So he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for."

"Selvig?" Thor repeated, his voice laced with concern. 

Bruce replied, "He's an astrophysicist."

"He's a friend," Thor corrected. Coulson did mention that Selvig had something to do with Thor's arrival on the planet, but I tuned most of that out because I was only ever interested in the Norse god.