Chapter 1: Defrosted

The bitter taste of coffee lingered on my tongue as I made my way inside the building

The bitter taste of coffee lingered on my tongue as I made my way inside the building. It was early in the morning and I had just returned from a mission in France. The entire flight back consisted of me prepping my report and giving a verbal recollection of it to Agent Maria Hill.

I noticed that today was especially busy in the headquarters. Masses of other agents scurried down the halls like their lives depended on it. Some carried files and some carried cups that would wake them up from their less-than-ideal hours of sleep.

This scene only recently began to feel like home for me. Joining SHIELD was not at the top of my to-do list when I first arrived, nor was it ever on my radar, but it evolved into a strong love for the work I do.

My feet carried me toward the intel hub of the building where I was called in for another mission briefing.

"Agent Jennings!" Director Fury called from behind.

"Yes, sir?" I answered, my hair whipping behind me as I turned to face him.

"We have located the frozen Captain America and I am appointing you to lead the excavation," he explained quickly. "You leave in 10."

He trudged off, his leather coat flapping with each step.

I tapped my belt to make sure that I had everything I needed with me: my badge, my guns, and my phone.

This assignment was something that I had interest in for a while. There was a lot of chatter in the agency about their little hunt for the lost hero and that Fury would only let a few people know the details regarding the search. I worked so hard to climb the SHIELD ladder and I felt like I deserved this. By some miracle, I became a part of the inner circle. 

I've heard of Captain America through Agent Phil Coulson, my appointed supervisor from my time in the academy. The captain was an American hero, as his name suggested. He defeated the Nazis, saved the world, and died heroically. He was everything that I was not. 

Though a lot of people including myself wanted this job, I didn't bother fighting for it. If anything, I knew that Coulson would have been in charge. As tough and father-like he was to me, he absolutely softened at the mention of his idol. Fury also had a liking to him, so it made sense.

Putting me in charge? That was out-of-character, though it became pretty apparent that Coulson had another position to fulfill when he told me he would be gone for a few days.

I walked out to the helipad and waited for a good few minutes until takeoff. Tugging and pulling on the belt next to me, I strapped myself into the seat as the rotor blades started to spin.

I was used to the loud sounds of the rotor blades chopping the air, so it didn't faze me. Oddly enough, it was a soothing sound. I've always enjoyed the perks of this job which was to kick some major ass and travel to do so, though I enjoyed the latter a bit more.