Chapter 8: Battle of New York

After gathering back on the bridge, I sat at a table with Tony and Steve, tapping my fingers against the glass and staring at the wall

After gathering back on the bridge, I sat at a table with Tony and Steve, tapping my fingers against the glass and staring at the wall. My eyes were red from the tears that welled in my eyes, but I would wipe them before they could trail down my cheeks.

"These were in Coulson's pocket," Fury said softly as he threw cards on the table. 

Their usual glossy shine was dampened by the dark red blood that made it look like Captain America was wading in a red sea. The edges were now wrinkled and the layers of paper began to separate.

"You didn't sign them," I muttered, putting my head in my hands.

"Pardon me?" said Steve. Knowing that I was in a vulnerable state, he kept his voice gentle. 

Many things must have been going through his mind at this moment: about Coulson, about the mission, and just about everything.

"The cards!" I cried, my voice cracking. "It was his dream for you to sign them since we found you. Now he can't ask you to sign them because he's — and they're not in mint condition because of all the blood and — oh, God. Excuse me. I'm sorry."

I shot out of my seat and disappeared into the adjacent hallway. Usually, I wouldn't dare to let my emotions get to me while on a mission, but this hit me in a way I couldn't possibly ignore.

Coulson was important to me because he made me a person again. Originally, I only took the job to avoid prison. I was in a dark place and didn't give a damn about keeping anyone safe. The only person I intended on keeping safe was myself.

He was the first person to get through to me. Not even Nat or Clint could. They tried, but I pushed them away because they were the reason why I was captured. Coulson had a hard time as well, but he never gave up. He still showed up to my isolated room everyday after training to have a little chat despite my lack of enthusiasm. After months, I gave in to his welcoming personality and our friendship grew from there.

"Kylie."

Steve had come to check on me. I swiped the tears off of my cheek but did not look at him. It was painful enough that I was breaking down in front of him, Tony, Fury, and Maria. I didn't need him to see my crying face. 

"I know what it feels like to lose someone you love."

I slowed my breathing, trying to stop myself from crying. This was all so much to take in.

"Coulson was the father I never had," I told him. "I hated everyone. I hated the world. But he showed me kindness. He made me a person again. I owe him everything and he deserved everything good in this world. It's not fair."

"I didn't know him very long, but he was a good man," said Steve. "I'm really sorry for your loss."

Tony suddenly shuffled into vision just behind Steve. There was no typical Stark aura surrounding him, and for once, I didn't feel pure anger toward him.