Chapter 32: Rivers

The time we spent before the final fight consisted mostly of mentally preparing ourselves

The time we spent before the final fight consisted mostly of mentally preparing ourselves. Me, especially. 

As I stuffed my guns into their holsters and a few extra clips, Steve gently grabbed my wrist. 

"Hey love," he greeted quietly. I looked up to meet his gaze. 

"Hey, what's up?" 

He took in a deep breath and exhaled. "I just wanted to talk to you. You know, with everything going on. We didn't really talk over the past few days."

I didn't buy his reasoning and said, "Spill it. You have something else to say."

"You know me too well," he chuckled nervously. 

"I'm your girlfriend," I reminded him. I gave his hand a squeeze as a way of telling him to go on.

He led me out to a vacant hallway and began to speak. 

"I've usually never been so on edge for a mission, but this is different. I just," he trailed, "We aren't going against some bad guy with plans to destroy the Earth. We're going against the people we once trusted. People who know our weaknesses, our secrets."

"And you feel like something bad is going to happen," I finished for him. 

He laughed dryly and nodded. "I just want to talk to you about things just in case."

As I looked into his tired and sad eyes, mine began to water. I shook my head and said, "No. We're both getting out of this alive."

"Ky, just hear me out," he begged, getting a grip on my shoulders. 

I continued to shake my head. 

"No, I'm not going to say goodbye to you. Everything will be fine. We will be alright."

"Honey—"

"Don't sweet talk me, Steve. If you say goodbye to me, then that's going to seal our fate. You will not die on me. Not today, not tomorrow. We're going to walk away from this at the end of the day with our mission accomplished. We'll go back to our apartment and continue life. We're going to adopt a dog like we've always planned to. We're going to live happy until we're old."

With a sigh, he pulled me into his chest and kissed the top of my head.

"Promise me," I whispered.  

"I promise," he sighed in defeat. "I love you. I always will."

When I looked up at him, his eyebrows were still furrowed together in deep thought. I knew that he didn't want to leave his thoughts unsaid but I was too stubborn to hear it. I wanted to push the idea of one of us dying out of my head. 

"Guys, we gotta get going," Hill called out. 

When we pulled away, we both took a second to look at each other in the eyes. My heart dropped in my chest as I began to fear for his life.