Chapter 17: Sleep

After the funeral, something in me just kind of shut down in a way

After the funeral, something in me just kind of shut down in a way. I used to be so alive and vibrant. I'd make my presence known in the room. I'd always joke around. Always up for an adventure.

But now I'm not. I don't exactly know why.

Was it the guilt of not giving myself and my own father closure? Was it the pain of knowing that he still thought of me? Was it the fact that I left without reconciling with whatever blood relatives I have left? Or was it the fact that seeing my dad lie there in a coffin brought back too many painful experiences? 

The team noticed my absent-mindedness too. They'd constantly ask if I was feeling okay and babied me. Usually I babied the men, since they regularly fought. Steve seemed to care a lot more than any of the other boys, and half of me expected it, considering he was always by my side.

He's a sweet guy, and I know that I'm starting to feel a little for him, and I really am trying my best to suppress the feeling. I want to keep this professional, and since we're both in the same dangerous profession, I don't want to be with someone who has a high death risk. Losing someone so important to me is what I do not want to go through anymore. 

Or maybe I'm just destined to be single for life. I can adopt a million dogs, right?

As I laid in my bed and stared at the ceiling, someone opened my door. I expected Steve, and my heart leaped out of my chest. 

"Dinner's ready," a deep accented voice said. 

It was Thor, which kind of disappointed me. But don't get me wrong, I love Thor, he's like a brother to me. I just never expected him to be opening my door. 

"Where's Steve?" was the first thing I asked. 

Thor chuckled. "He's setting up the food. The dinner was all made by him."

"Really?" I asked with a smile.

"Yes, he'd be a very desirable partner for you."

As I got up from bed I said, "Oh Thor, drop it."

"You know the rest of the team is right," he smirked. "Come on." I laughed a little, and Thor threw his arm around me. "I know you're going through a tough time, but it will get better. You have us." 

"I know. Thank you," I replied, giving him a squeeze. It was like hugging a concrete wall, but it was somehow comforting.

As I walked into the dining room, the people in there scrambled around to block the table's contents from my vision.

"Kylie!" Clint exclaimed, giving me a hug. "You know we love you, right?"

I laughed nervously, running a hand through my hair. "What did you guys do this time?"

"What do you mean?" Bruce asked, dumbfounded.

"You guys are acting weird. Something bad usually happens when you act weird."