Chapter 30: Rubble

After a quick change of clothes into something less conspicuous, we headed for a public mall

After a quick change of clothes into something less conspicuous, we headed for a public mall. As we drove, Steve's face was plastered on every TV and billboard this city had to offer. 

The three of us were on high alert with these announcements that Steve was a fugitive from the government. We could be identified any time if we weren't careful, especially in this crowded mall.

Our only hope was an Apple store that was very conveniently right in the middle of this damn shopping center. 

The three of us stood in front of one of the display laptops as Natasha attempted to find out whatever was on that drive. As soon as we plugged it into the laptop, we discovered that it was heavily and strategically encrypted. What a perfect scenario for us.

"You know if I had my laptop, you could have used it," I muttered. 

It's back at the apartment. The same apartment I can't go back to because the Winter Soldier found out where we live and whoever compromised SHIELD is probably tearing through it right now to find clues on our whereabouts.

If I'm being totally honest, I was a bit saddened by the fact that all my good clothes were at home. Including my personal arsenal hiding behind my closet. So, I was stuck with whatever was in my car. And good thing I had another extra arsenal in there.  Actually, I forgot: I had to ditch my car too. 

"Shut up, I'm almost done," snapped Natasha. As she typed away, someone approached us from the side. I quickly turned to face him, ready to throw a punch if needed.

"Hey, may I help you?" An employee asks with a generic, overworked smile plastered on their face. Natasha looked at me expecting to make up something.

I pulled Steve closer to my side. "This is my fiance, and my best friend," I gestured to the two respectively. "She wants to buy us this laptop for our wedding present."

The employee smiles. I give Steve a quick squeeze and his arm is almost immediately around me and he's smiling.

"Yeah, we're still planning the wedding and her best friend is already buying us a gift. True friendship," he beamed. Natasha snorted.

The employee is reduced to smiling and staring right at Steve, and I can only think it meant one thing: we've been made. 

"I have the same exact glasses!" he exclaimed. I let out a breath of relief and relaxed my shoulders. I really wanted a break, man. Being this stressed made me more stressed and stress isn't good for me, you know?

After giving him a nervous laugh, the employee told us his name and walked away. Once he was far enough, Nat ripped the hard drive out of it's port.

"We got it. New Jersey."

"Let's go, we don't want to get caught," I ordered. 

Upon stepping out of the store, an uneasy feeling sank onto my chest. Something felt out of place here. The other two felt it too, and we realized that there were agents here with us.