Chapter 29: It Begins

Kylie

Kylie

"Let's go out for the day, just you and me," Steve suggested as I woke up. He was already getting ready and was in the process of putting on his shirt.

I rubbed my eyes and smiled. "Where to?"

"First stop, the Smithsonian. Now go get ready."

I rolled myself out of bed and went to the bathroom to take a shower, taking a while to enjoy the warm water running over my body. Then, I changed into simple jeans and a black thick-strapped tank top.

Steve and I ate a simple breakfast at a local cafe, and was unbothered, for the most part. We had hats and sunglasses on to avoid being identified by others.

Children never failed to surprise me. They were always so quick to see that Captain America was really in front of them, but we always told them to keep it on the down low. The best part about it was that they actually obeyed Steve. It was a perk of being a national hero.

At the Smithsonian Institution, there was a whole exhibit dedicated to Steve. I never got around to it, but I was sure Steve had been. I could tell in the way he could find whatever his heart desired. His feet just took him there. He never had to stop to scan the area for it, but always got it on the first try.

I walked through the halls in awe and admired all the facts and details it contained. Surprisingly, I learned a few more facts about him, such as his exact shoe size pre-serum. Nothing I never thought I'd wanted to know, though.

People of all ages enjoyed it. Little kids were saluting to the portrait of him, teens enjoyed the interactive features, and parents read the plaques and monuments. My favorite had to be seeing all the elderly people, especially the ones with the veteran hats on. They basked in the glory of the exhibit, like they knew him personally.

One older man in particular stood in front of the section about Steve's first real rescue operation and said to his grandchild, "Captain America saved me from that camp! If it weren't for him, you wouldn't be here."

Steve and I overheard it and laughed. The child turned and his gaze fell upon Steve. His jaw dropped upon recognizing us, and nearly dropped his little action figure. Steve raised a finger to his lips, and the child nodded slowly. As we walked away, his eyes remained glued on us.

"This is great," I squealed. "A whole exhibit dedicated to the man I love."

"Someday, you'll be here. A memory of the woman I love."

He took my hand and intertwined our fingers, placing a kiss on the back of my hand. Oh, this boy sure does make me melt. I feel like a little school girl having a crush. Though I have to admit, our relationship makes me feel as normal as two Avengers can be. It gets tiring to be so cold and distant all the time.

We continued walking, and stopped at Bucky's memorial. Steve looked at it, his eyes filled with sorrow. I squeeze his hand, letting him know that it's okay to be a little sad and I was here to offer him comfort.