Chapter 6: Is This Even A Team?

Following the discovery of the plans for Tesseract-powered weapons, Natasha and Thor entered the lab

Bruce looked at Natasha as if she had just stabbed him in the back. It was an unsettling thing to see, but I trusted that he could control himself from turning. "Did you know about this, Romanoff?" 

"Do you want to remove yourself from this environment, Dr. Banner?" she asked in return, an eyebrow raised. She was wary of his growing temper.

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty self-removed."

"Loki is manipulating you," she stated, taking a step toward Bruce. The scientist rolled his eyes.

"And you've been doing what, exactly?" 

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not going to leave because you get a little twitchy." Bruce referred to the screen. "I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

"Because of him!" Fury accused, pointing at Thor.

"Me?" Thor said, insulted by the accusation.

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet that had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned."

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet!" Thor argued.

"But you're not the only ones out there, are you? And you're not the only threat. The world is filling up with people that can't be matched, that can't be controlled!" 

"Like you control the cube?" Steve asked through gritted teeth.

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it... and his allies. It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war!" Thor bellowed.

Fury laughed. "You forced our hand! We had to come up with some way that we could —"

"A nuclear deterrent? Cause that always works well —" Tony started.

"Remind me again how you made your fortune, Mr. Stark," Fury remarked. My lips twitched and I fought off the smile on my face.

Steve became restless with him as well and said, "I'm sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck deep —"

"When did this become all about me?" Stark questioned. His face was turning red and the smug look he always had on his face was nowhere to be found.

"I'm sorry, isn't it always?"

The entire group began to argue in their own separate bubbles. This supposedly elite team was breaking down in front of my own eyes. For a second, I couldn't remember why I wanted to be in the Initiative so bad. I met lying criminals who could work better together than this.