Chapter 23: Distant

Steve

Steve

After telling Kylie about how I felt for her, she began to avoid me more. It stung every time I'd walk into a room and she'd excuse herself to go out or back into her room. She wouldn't even eat at the table with all of us. She'd say she wasn't hungry or would go to the headquarters because she was called in.

The team noticed it too, they just didn't want to bring it up, which was new for them. None of us bought her excuses and once her back was turned, they'd all give me looks asking: What the hell did you do?

We were all eating lunch in the dining room when she walked in. She had her SHIELD uniform on and was getting something to eat on the go.

She would always go to work on a regular basis, but lately it's been almost everyday. She'd leave early and come back late at night. It was unusual and I thought that she was just doing it to avoid me.

"I'm going to be gone for the next few days. I have a mission in Britain," she announces, pouring tea in her cup.

Her usual energy was absent, which kind of weighed on all of us. It wasn't comfortable knowing things weren't alright.

I thought that we were okay after the whole pier ordeal. Instead she became distant, and I was too afraid to approach her because I didn't want to force her to talk to me. I'd rather have her be comfortable enough to sit down and talk.

"Be careful out there," I blurted out, causing everyone's eyes to be on me.

"I will. Don't worry," she muttered, walking into the elevator.

She turned, making sure that her eyes did not meet any of ours.

"Come home in one piece! We still need you!" Tony called out as the doors closed. "Even if you're making everything feel all gloomy."

"Hey, give her a break," I groaned, putting my head in my hands.

"What happened when we were gone?" Nat asked sternly, her eyebrows raised.

I sighed. "We kissed."

"You go, Spangles!" the men cheered. Soon enough, their faces fell upon remembering how weird we were acting toward each other.

"What seemed to cause the obvious conflict between you two?" Thor questioned, stabbing his food.

"Oh no. Cap, you messed up big time," Clint declared, pointing his fork at me.

"I know I did," I responded. "Don't remind me."

Bruce cleared his throat. "Why does she hate you?"

"She doesn't hate him," Natasha argued. "It has nothing to do with him."

"Then what?" I asked, getting stressed by the minute. I was frustrated with not being able to read Kylie's mind after being so sure that I knew her like the back of my hand.