1: Moving Day

It's not everyday your parents walk into your bedroom together with a solemn expression baring the unfortunate news of moving. And the first question out of my mouth was, "Please say it's a hot country."

Vancouver? Not so hot.

As I was due to start college, I could stay and study in New York if I really wanted to. People did it all the time, people uplifted their lives and left their parents behind for education every semester. But something in me couldn't bare it.

I adored my parents too much to be too far away from them.

"Evangeline?"

I slowly opened my eyes to the sound of my name and turned toward my mother, Marie. She pushed a strand of her light brown hair away from her face and turned to look out the plane window.

"We're landing." She smiled softly.

My father, Arthur, was sat on the other side of me. I tilted my head toward him and watched his slow smile. His light blue eyes lit up with glee as the plane touched ground.

As the plane finished taxiing into its spot, my 16 year old brother popped up from his seat beside us and rolled his eyes. "This is going to suck so hard."

I grin and moved from my space. "Don't be a pessimist."

"I'm not. And anyway, you should be more so than me; you had your whole life planned on attending Columbia." He flicked his reddish brown hair out of his eyes before he reached the overhead compartment for his bag.

I exhaled softly and shrugged. "Yes, I know. But things change, Aaron." 

"You can say that again." He scoffed.

He received a playful smack around the head from dad as we walked through the aisles. Aaron rubbed the back of his head and walked on.

Vancouver, Canada.

It was oddly warm as we exited the airport with our luggage. It was September; the beginning of the new semester. My parents rented me a room on campus in one of the townhouses. I got my own room which was okay. But I still had to share a floor and bathroom with someone and I didn't mind too much.

It was an hour journey to the campus. My parents decided to move me into my house before they all moved in. Of course, I told them not to be stupid and let them move in first but they said it'd be quicker. The moving vans didn't get to their house until mid-day anyway.

As the two temporarily rented cars pulled in, and my brother and I piled into the second one, I couldn't help but think about my friends back in New York. Chelsea said she'd try and visit soon and that she'll keep in contact and Amy said the same.

I didn't realise I'd fallen asleep until I opened my eyes and we were going down a long narrow road. There were trees everywhere and I could hear Aaron mumbling, "So many trees. We sure as hell aren't in New York anymore."

I yawned and said to the driver, "How long left?"

"We're here. Which residence are you staying at?" He asked.

"Squamish Residence," I said.

As we rounded the corner, the boat load of cars and people with boxes caught my attention. Move in day I suppose. What did I expect, a civilized bunch of young adults patiently walking down the street in single file? I scoffed at the thought.

It took another ten minutes just to get to my road which should have only taken 30 seconds. My parents' car was in front of ours and when they stepped out first, I could see people's eyes straying toward them. My mother was dressed casually and so was my father so I didn't see what was so interesting about them. They were a good looking pair I suppose. My brother and I stepped out next and I went straight to the trunk of the car. "Aaron, help me-"