21: Question Time

________________________________

"Well, the first thing that told me you were different was your eyes," I sat beside him and turned so my legs rested in his lap.

He rested his hands on my ankles. "I see."

"The first time I saw your pupils dilate, I thought it was really odd. The first time I saw a different side to you was after the Welcome Week Bonfire when I was bleeding. When Laura was attacked and I fell?"

His hand squeezed my leg and he sent me an apologetic pained look. "I'm so sorry about that."

I laughed. "It's alright."

"No, it's not." He mumbled. "I--"

"You can apologize as much as you want after I've explained everything."

He let out a long sigh but nodded in agreement.

"I didn't think much about it at first, so I didn't ponder on it. After the diner incident when you grabbed me and explained how I was breaking down defences, well, it wasn't really much of a 'tell all' clue. But let's swiftly move on to my crash. I'm guessing what ran out in front of my car was what...? A vampire? Because that didn't look like any animal I've seen."

Michael nodded. "I'm worried about you being out by yourself. There's been more than one occasion where you've been close by to an attack and it's not right. That night I guess whomever it was, was playing with you. After you explained that it looked like a person I had to check the area with John to make sure-"

I gasped and interrupted him. "So John is...? A vampire too?"

Michael nodded with a small smile.

"Okay." I sighed out. "Carry on." At least that now made sense why he looked drop dead gorgeous.

"We found a scent; nothing more. It was barely anything because it had rained but it was there."

"So... what can you guys... do?"

"We're not moving on just yet. You still haven't told me how you'd come to the conclusion. I'll answer all of your questions after, I promise."

"Deal. After the crash I'd woken up to you on the phone talking about how, um... Oh, how it was hard and you didn't mean to go that long...?"

His eyes averted to his hands rubbing up and down my legs. "Oh. I, er, hadn't... fed in a few weeks which was very stupid of me. And I'm not the greatest person when I haven't fed."

I swallowed the idea and image of him biting a human and sucking the life out of them. "Is that why you were such an ass that day?"

He nodded and finally looked back into my eyes. "Yes." He looked slightly distant now. I didn't want that.

I wanted him to know that I didn't care. That I loved him for him. So I moved forward, grabbed his arm and pulled him down on the couch with me. He swung his legs up on the couch and settled beside me wrapping his arms around my waist. He felt so warm and soft. I tangled our legs together and made sure there was nowhere we weren't touching. I rested my forehead on his and brought one of my hands to his cheek.

"Stop judging yourself." I mumbled. "I told you I don't care what you are."

He let out a small sigh and held me closer to him. "Alright. Carry on."

"You were gone for a week."

"I was... Busy."

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I suppose there is no need for me to keep secrets anymore. I needed time away to think about the previous week. And I needed to... Feed. It keeps me occupied."