31: Awkward

_________________________________________

"...Evie?"

I opened my eyes and lifted my head from my hand. "I'm so sorry, John. I didn't get enough sleep last night."

He leaned forward on the table with a cheeky smile. "Really?"

"It wasn't like that." I scoffed.

He chuckled and took off his sunglasses and baseball cap that stopped people from seeing his face. We were in a small coffee shop in town on his break so we could talk about everything. I must have been talking and just... Stopped. 

Michael was in his two hour lecture today so John and I had enough time to talk about it all. Last night Michael had done what he said he would do. We were talking about random things, asking questions about our favourite things like food or animal in his case. I'd asked him if it were true when he told me he went to Europe at eighteen to study history; he'd explained how it were true, just the time frame in history was different and not even WWII had happened yet. He told me how it was hard to travel between countries when he was eighteen because it was during the First World War.

 We'd occasionally go silent and I'd be on the verge of sleep when he'd start tickling me or kissing my neck or saying, 'If your heart slows to a steady rhythm then I'll just increase it within seconds.' 

So five thirty was when I fell asleep. And seven thirty was when I had to wake up so I could meet John for half nine. Michael seemed just chipper when I saw him in the morning as well.

Damn him and his immortality. 

"Have you two...?" John winked.

I gasped. "If it's any of your business, which it is not, no we haven't. And I don't know whether right now is the right time to."

"Because of what's going on?" He asked. 

I nodded. "Yes. And anyway we're going off topic here."

John's face turned serious as he leaned back in his chair. "Yes, I suppose."

"Wouldn't Kate know that we're here talking about this?"

That made him smile. "Her grandmother has taught me a few tricks or two. Sometimes Kate can be extremely nosey. And with Sam, I just won't let him touch me." He chuckled. "But let's get back to the fact that you think there are more than two of them."

I thought that talking about this in a public cafe was a stupid idea. But there was nowhere else we could talk about it really. Michael would know if he were at the house and John said it was too long to go to his house.

"It doesn't make sense. The one I met in the forest he... He didn't seem mad or crazy. Actually he looked so guilty. So... Sad."

John didn't display any emotion. "He's tricking you, Evie. He wants you to trust him."

"I'd never trust him, John; I'm not a complete imbecile. And I don't think he's tricking me. He would have killed me."

He started to shake his head. "No. He wouldn't. Because he probably has orders. That's why he couldn't tell you anything."

"Wait, orders?" I leaned forward. "From who? How?"

"The reason he probably hasn't done anything is because he has orders from his Maker."

"You think the other one here is his maker? How could you come to that?"

"When you told me he was spluttering and he said he couldn't tell you anything. Plus when you said he was thirsty and didn't even touch you. There is no living human drinker that would deny blood in front of them. Some human drinkers have self control in controlling their thirst. For example, I could drink human blood and go straight back to animal blood. I've done it many times in the past. It isn't hard but some believe it is."