8: That Smile

_________________

"What are you doing this weekend?"

"Nothing today, but I'm going to my parents tomorrow." I said. "I'm inviting a few friends, you want to come?" I asked Kate.

"Sure. I'd love to meet the O'Shea's!" She winked. She resumed surfing around on my laptop while I unwrapped the bandage from around my arm.

It'd been a week since the bonfire.

This week had been pretty uneventful compared to last week. I'd now started receiving homework from classes. I'd been spending the hour by myself in the library making sure I knew what I needed to know for my history and English classes.

Speaking of History... 

Classes were normal. Mr. Reeves, Laura and I acted like last Friday and Saturday didn't even happen.

Speaking of Laura... 

She wasn't acting weird like last Saturday anymore. I reached for her arm on Monday to see if I got the same reaction as in the car but she willingly let me undo the bandage to look at it. It was barely a scar now. I could see traces of the bite mark and it made me think if she still thought if it was a scratch. She either healed really quick or... Actually I don't know what other explanation there could be for her healing so quickly.

I was still healing as it was. I went back to Coach Harris about my stitches yesterday when Damien had practice and he said that they'd start to dissolve now.

Laura came to my door and stood there. I'd already asked her and Lucas about Sunday. Damien couldn't come because Coach had called a practice.

"Seeming that you have a car, can you go to the grocery store and pick up some desserts?"

"Why?" I asked.

"For your mom's dinner tomorrow." She pulled her wallet out of her back pocket and held out a twenty dollar bill. "It's on the other side of campus. It's a five minute drive."

"Aren't you coming?" I stood up and took the money. I'll never get the hang off Canadian money.

"Of course not! You'll probably get it done faster. Shops close in an hour. I'd need to get ready. And plus you know what your family likes."

"That's cheating." Katherine sung.

"I don't care!" She said. "I wanna be nice and make a great first impression."

"Laura you've met my mom already and you know she loves you." I said referring back to move in day.

Kate looked thoughtful for a moment then she spun in her chair to look at me. "Could you get me something then?"

I laughed and went into my wardrobe to change my jeans shorts. Kate stopped me. "Don't change! Just go! It's warmer today too. You won't die of hypothermia."

I rolled my eyes and put on my grey SFU hoodie. I pulled my hair out of the hoodie and slipped on my White low top Converse. "If I do die, I'll haunt you."

She giggled. "You won't. Take my money and go!"

I grabbed my car keys off the table and made my way downstairs. Lucas waved from his spot on the couch and said, "Can you pick up some Mike N Ike's?"  

"Yes." I said as I walked out the door. 

The drive to the supermarket took ten minutes not five. Kate was right. It was warmer than usual.

I walked into the store and grabbed a basket. I walked down the dessert isle and picked up a chocolate fudge cake and some cream for Laura. I went into the freezer and picked up an apple pie and some vanilla ice-cream for Katherine.