51: Gifts

___________________________________________

"Wake up!"

"No."

"Evie."

"Go away," I groaned and rolled over. "Who let you in here anyway?"

"Mom told me to wake you up. It's Christmas for Christ sake."

What a thing to say today of all days.. 

I lifted my head to yank my pillow out and threw it at Aaron. "Get out."

"Ay! None of that you obnoxious eighteen year old." I opened my eye to watch him waddle in without his crutch. "Come on Evie, just because I'm sixteen, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the holiday. Come downstairs..."

I sighed. "What's mom made for breakfast?"

He sat beside me. "The whole shebang, big sister. Eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, waffles, syrup or honey and pancakes. It's like a buffet down there."

I stretched my arms and legs and yawned. "It's only because Aunt Caitlyn is here."

"Either way the food down there is awesome. Come on, Dylan wants to see you."

"Is he here? Is Olivia here too?" I started to sit up. 

"She's been stopped twice from sneaking up those stairs to see you. Hurry up and get dressed. Isn't your boyfriend supposed to be coming?"

"Yeah, at like two o'clock and then I'm leaving with him after dinner."

"Well, it's almost ten so get your lazy ass up before I push you out of bed." He pressed one of his hands onto my leg to help him stand. I watched him walk out before sighing and standing up. 

I'd been up late last night playing little games with Michael. I heard him leave at early hours of this morning after a peck to my cheek. I'd gone back to the mall on Thursday with Laura realising I needed something to give to Michael before tonight. I'd gone to the photo developing shop after sneaking Michael's camera from his house and made a scrap book.

Yes, I actually made it. Well, I had to buy the plain empty album and then I worked from there. It was either make that or buy him a tie. 

When I went through the camera the day I developed the photos, I was smiling from ear to ear. The photos we took that day while ago when we went to the supermarket were so priceless. I'd put a little note at the end of the section as well.

 After dinner, we'd go back to the house and Katherine will call saying they needed him to come over urgently, no excuses because I'm sure he'd give a few and then I'd start his second present. 

I showered quickly and put on a pair of crisp blue jeans and a white knit sweater. I let my red hair settle on my shoulders and put on a light dab of make-up. It was Christmas after all, I had to look nice. I looked down at the table and sighed as I slipped on my splint. I was way better than I was a few days ago. I no longer needed the splint but my parents didn't know that. 

I could hear the voices as I stepped downstairs. I couldn't place one of the voices but I soon figured out who it was as soon as I walked in the kitchen. Aunt Caitlyn, my mother's older sister, and Uncle Reece are the ones that live inSeattle. I haven't seen them since I was fourteen, Aaron was twelve, their son Dylan was also fourteen and their daughter Olivia was eight. And now here they were. Dylan looked like a full grown man and Olivia was growing up beautifully.

"Evie!" A chorus of voices said.

Dylan stood up from his seat at the breakfast table first and my eyes widened. Dear God, he was a truck! Last time I saw him he was a skinny fourteen year old with braces and long fluffy brown hair. Now, he looked like a quarter back with straight teeth and short brown curls.