50: Waiting For The End

___________________

"Stop moaning, Evie. We'll find something."

I lifted my head from the small table. "But what if I don't? I don't know what he wants or needs or-"

John sent me a, 'seriously' look. "Evangeline, you worry wart, you'll find something. Especially if Katherine's here it's inevitable that you don't."

Speak of the devil, she walked into the food court holding a boat load of bags and a huge smile. "Christmas shopping is fun."

"Mmhm." I scowled. "It's easy when you know what want."

"Oh, Evie come on, you'll find something." She sat down beside John with a smirk. "What about a nice watch or-"

"Why don't you just tell me what Michael got me, I'm sure you know."

Both John and Katherine grinned.

"Oh, for the love of-"

"Evie, seriously you'll think of something. I know you will," She reassured me. "Just think about what Michael likes."

I started to open my mouth to recommend something I knew he loved when Katherine interrupted. "And don't even think about sex."

"What man in their right mind would deny it?" I stressed with a shrug. "But I don't want to just give him something as easy as that."

"You could." John suggested. "It could be a side present."

Kate slapped his shoulder. "Don't go giving her ideas. I want her to figure it out on-"

"Thank you, John." An idea sprouted into my mind.

"Damn you," She hit his arm again. "I'm going to go get some fries." Kate stood up and stomped her way over to the long line.

We'd been shopping all day and it was almost time for the shops to close. The place was still packed with last minute shoppers getting in all of their Christmas presents. I'd gotten my parents presents and my brother a present along with small things for Laura, Damien and Lucas. I did get a black Green Lantern hoodie for Kate but as soon as I brought it she thanked me for it, damn her. I wish there was a way for her not to see me for a day. Maybe I shouldn't have invited her... Then again I do need her to help me find Michael's present.

John started picking at my burger, emphasis on the my, and I started to study him. Dirty blonde soft curls rested on his forehead, a strong jaw, hypnotising hazel eyes, full lips that were turned down into a frown. If only Amy were here longer. I would have loved to have seen how John would tease the living day lights out of her.

"Why are you staring at me?"

I didn't even feel embarrassed. "Just thinking about how infatuated you were by my friend, Amy."

His eyes flickered up to me and back down at my destroyed half eaten burger. "So?"

"You admit it?"

"I admit I was mildly curious."

"Yes, and by mildly you mean extremely."

He wiped his hands on a napkin with a charming smile. "Your friend is nice and attractive, am I not allowed to appreciate it?"

"No," I smiled. "Because I don't know what your intentions are. For all I know, you could be luring her into your dungeon to drain her of all her blood."

"If I dragged her off into a dungeon it wouldn't be for her blood." He winked.

"Ew. Inappropriate."

He crossed his arms on the table with a chuckle.