20: Confession

________________

"Mom?"

"Yes, honey?"

I inhaled and exhaled deeply. "There's this girl I know... She's known this guy for about two months now. And she's fallen in love with him but she doesn't know how he feels. Do you think she's gone into it too fast?"

My mother did the finishing touches on my hair and chuckled. "Well, it depends how... That girl... Feels about the guy. It doesn't matter about time, cupcake. The amount of time isn't important; it's what they've done during the time that counts."

I smiled at my mom through the mirror. She always knew what to say. But I did make it slightly blatant. She was a smart cookie. "Thanks."

She helped me stand up from my computer chair and held onto my arms. "You're welcome honey. Just make sure your friend brings her new boyfriend to dinner because I'm sure her mother is disappointed in her daughter that she hasn't even informed her until now that she was even in a relationship." She frowned at me deeply and I let out a sigh.

"I don't know if I'd call it a relationship..." I mumbled.

She kissed my forehead. "Call it what you wish."

I stepped downstairs carefully in my dress and heard Laura's gasp.

"Damn you look gorgeous." She said.

My mother came down after me with a smug smile. "I did my best with the hair." She handed me my small purse. "Have fun. Don't do anything I wouldn't do." She winked before saying goodbye to Laura and walking out of the door.

Mom had managed to snatch up a peach/beige 1860's formal gown probably from a dress up store or a vintage store. It was a no sleeve dress with ruffles stopping above the crease of my forearm. I had to put on one of those large underskirts which was hard to get out of the door. I had a corset on that I couldn't frigging breathe in. My hair was in curls sitting on my shoulder and pinned up just like they did back in the day! It turned out better than I thought.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"Damien and Lucas left at eight-thirty and are helping with the music and food and Kate is already there."

I clenched my jaw at Kate's name. I hadn't seen her since before I found out and I've been working up a few choice words for her.

And Michael... Well, he had tried calling me on Saturday but I didn't answer. He'd only tried once. He was going to be there tonight. And I knew it was the right time to say something. What other night is better than Halloween, right? How cliché.

"Laura you look great. You look like a spitting image of Monroe." 

Her white cocktail dress that clung to her body, the heavy red lipstick, the curled short blond hair and of course the famous Monroe mole on her cheek between the mouth and nose.

She put her hand in her hair and smirked. "I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one."

I laughed. "Did you just quote her?"

She nodded and tapped a finger to her head. "I've stored some quotes up here for tonight."

We walked to the door and Laura surprised me by saying, "Do you think anything weird or bad will happen tonight? You know what with the recent attacks and well, it being Halloween and all?"

To be honest I didn't know so I didn't answer her.

It was going to be hard to walk up there or take my car because of my dress so we took the bus. There were other students on it dressed up so we didn't look like two crazies. As we drew closer there were lights and big fake posters of Frankenstein and typical ghouls. There were a few carved pumpkins along the walkway which I thought was a bad idea. Boys are definitely going to go smash them later.