7: Odd Behaviour

I really couldn't be bothered to check the whole thing ¬_¬

_____________________________

Chapter 7

Odd Behaviour

"Thank you," I took the cup out of his hands and sat it in my lap. 

He stood there slightly rigid. He wouldn't look me in the eye. I felt bad for making him feel completely awkward but... To be honest I felt slightly awkward too. That look he gave me earlier...

But I smiled and said, "Can you please sit, you're making me feel nervous."

He nodded and sat beside me. He stared at the flames without saying a word. I took a sip of the coffee and sighed. I had a few things to ask him but the silence was too horrible to break.

But I took a deep breath anyway and said, "How did you know we were there?"

"I saw you going into the wood so I followed you. You shouldn't have gone in without saying anything to anyone first," Oh great. I started him off. "Even though we are at a school it doesn't mean it's safe around it. Laura was seriously hurt tonight, what if you were too. Evangeline, you put yourself in danger by going into a forest completely blind unknowing wh-" 

"God, I get it! You're gonna burst a blood vessel if you carry on! Jesus-"

"I'm not sure if you understand the nature of your actions, Evangeline-" He snapped.

I put my coffee on the table and stood up. "Look I'm not a child, okay? You don't get to speak to me like I'm sort of immature, delinquent kid that doesn't know right from wrong. And neither do you get to call me my whole friggin' name every five seconds, Christ!" I shrieked. "You're my teacher not my father---"

"Yes," He stood up and towered over me. "I am your teacher but I'm a teacher that cares if his student decides to go into a forest probably full of... animals." He said the last word harshly. "So, Evie," He emphasized my name. "Do not lose your temper with me because I actually care whether you get yourself hurt."

I scowled at him deeply and grabbed my coffee. "Where am I sleeping."

"Are you giving up? Is that it? No argument? I win?"

I took a huge gulp and put it back on the table. "It's not about winning or losing. And I don't wish to argue with you. The stress of even talking to you is giving me a damn headache."

His jaw clenched but it wasn't as threatening as before. "I'm not finished speaking to you."

"Speaking," I scoffed. "More like yelling."

"I'm--!" He shouted at first but then he cleared his throat and straightened his back. "I'm only yelling because you started yelling first."

I crossed my arms under my breasts. "Fine. I'm sorry for yelling."

He then crossed his arms over his chest. "Then I'm sorry for... treating you like a child."

We stood there in a stare down for a few seconds before finally giving up and sighing. He turned away first and pointed to the second door I was wondering about earlier. "You'll be sleeping in there. I'll wash your clothes for tomorrow." He picked up my clothes but went into my pocket. My iPhone dropped to the floor along with the keys to the house so I picked them up.

"Well... Thank you."

He nodded and started taking small steps back.

I turned to go to the guest room when I stopped. I had questions to ask and they needed answers. Maybe the cause for his weird threatening outburst was because he was tired or stressed from this evening...? Or maybe I'm making excuses for him. I sighed. I guess I could ask him tomorrow.

"And... um..." I cleared my throat. "Michael?"

He stopped and turned looking surprised that I'd used his actual name.

I briefly bit my lower lip then said, "Thanks for... helping Laura and I earlier. You know me being the immature, delinquent child and all."

He chuckled. "You're welcome, stranger."

I watched him walk into the kitchen and round a corner. I took a deep breath and walked into the guest room. I didn't even bother turning the light on, I just collapsed on top of the comforter kicked them half off the bed and snuggled into the pillows. It smelled just like him... the smell of orchids.

What am I doing?

I've never been like this with anyone! I always keep my emotions in tact...

Maybe it's just a physical attraction... He is stunning...

I groaned and squished the pillow on top of my head. God I hate myself right now.

*

The chorus to Pumped up Kicks by Foster the People sounded very loud throughout the room. I searched for my phone through the sheets. I found it and swiped the screen. "What." I snapped.

"Hello, sweetie." My mom said. "I just wanted to call you before I start work to see how you're doing at school."

"Mother, what time is it?" I croaked. I moved my hair from my face and collapsed back on the pillows.

"Almost seven-thirty."

I paused as I slowly opened my eyes. "Mom... why did you call me at seven thirty in the morning."

She giggled. "I called you because I miss my only daughter! How's college?"

I sighed. "Mom, please let me call you back later?"

"Don't you have a lecture today? Shouldn't you be getting up now?"

"No, mom my lecture is at three." I snapped as I sat up.

"Alright, there's no need to snap. You're just like your father in the mornings, have I ever told you that?"

I rubbed my eyes and swung my legs over the bed. "Yes, mom you have." I stood up and went to the door at the side hoping it was the bathroom. It was the bathroom from last night that I changed in. I squinted at the light that was coming through the blinds of the window.

She rambled on for a while so I took the time to look at myself in the mirror. My reddish hair was a bird's nest probably because of the rain; I'd managed to sort out so at least it was presentable during the time my mother was rambling on about how the house was and how Aaron was doing at school and how my dad was. I tied up my hair and bent down to my knees. I hope he has a hair dryer and allows me a shower!

I searched the bottom cupboards for an unopened toothbrush and took it out. I'm sure he wouldn't mind, he probably never used this bathroom. I brushed my teeth while I made approval noises so mom didn't think I was ignoring her completely.

"Alright sweetie you sound a bit busy so I'll be going."

"Okay."

"I'll pick you up next Sunday at 4.00"

I paused before I put the toothbrush on the side. "Wait, what?"

"I knew you weren't listening! You're coming over to see the house next week! Bring a friend if you wish. Bring a few, I don't mind and I'm sure your father won't either."

"What about Aaron?"

"Aaron will learn to live with it." She said with a giggle. "Anyway, darling, I have to go. I have a patient waiting in my new office!" She squealed. "I'm so happy I have my own office again! Everyone is so---"

"Mom." I stopped her.

"Oh right." She laughed. "Bye, Evie. I love you."

"Love you too." I tapped the screen and sighed. The t-shirt kept slipping down my shoulder so I pulled it up and walked out. It was eight o'clock now. Wow I didn't even realize mom was speaking for a half hour.

I stepped out of the bedroom cautiously. The house looked so much better in the day. The colors I described were brighter, the fire place was bigger than I realized including the TV. The whole house was sort of modern styled but it was beautiful. The doors were a varnished wood that creaked as I opened it which sucked because now Mr. Reeves... Or Michael now knows I'm out of the room.

My bare feet stepped from the carpet onto the hard wood cold floor and I made my way into the kitchen. I paused and took steps back to look at the living room. There were blankets and pillows on it. I frowned and started back to the kitchen. Did he sleep on the couch?

My arm was throbbing like crazy now that the damn pills have worn off so I'm hoping to get some more of them. I stopped mid step and let my mouth drop open at the kitchen. It was huge! It was the same size as the bathroom! What is this, a mansion!? Is there more of this place?!

There was a huge rectangular island with the high tech electric stove on top. There was another island but it was small and it was more like a table because there were four stools around it. The counter tops were smooth marble granite. I walked to a very large granite door and opened it to find the fridge. There were a few snacks, bits and pieces in here but not a lot.

I turned my head to my right and saw the dining room. It looked like it hadn't been used in months. There was a hall in between the dining room and kitchen I was afraid to look down. What if it led to another house!

I sat on the stool and dropped my head onto the granite table. God, why did I do that, my head was hurting as it was. 

There were a few clinks of glasses and noises I recognized so I lifted my head I'm time to see Mr. Reeves put a white mug and a caramel glazed on a plate in front of me. I looked at him and he smiled. "Good morning,"

I took a sip of the coffee and sighed. "Morning."

His hair was flat slightly curly mess I just wish I could run my hands through... He was in a pair of fitted dark jeans and a black vest. My eyes immediately went to his shoulders and arms. But I stopped myself mid 'check-out' and stared down at my mug. 

"How'd you sleep?" He asked as he sat opposite me. He suddenly looked much better than he did last night. He sounded it that's for sure. His face looked fresh and his eyes seemed brighter.

"Great, thanks. Did you sleep on the couch?" 

"Yes."

"I could have slept on the couch. Why didn't you take the room I was in?"

He smiled. "That would have been rude of me."

"You don't always have to be so... Gentlemanly." I said after another sip and a bit of the donut. I almost moaned from the taste. 

"I'm not always."

Remembering last night I chuckled after I swallowed. "Oh, wait. You're right your not."

He rolled his eyes.

"Is Laura awake? How is she?" I asked remembering what had happened to her. I shuddered a little hoping it wasn't too noticeable.

"She woke up not long ago. She's in the bath and was completely surprised to see me this morning. I walk into my room to get clothes making sure not to wake her up and she sees me and asks if she's dreaming." He chuckled.

I smiled down at my coffee. Of course she did.