30: The Parents

______________________________

"So... How is everything?"

"Everything's fine honey," My mother replied.

"And dad?"

"He misses you dearly as do your brother and I."

I stared out the window briefly before walking back around to sit on my bed. "I miss you all too mom. How's work? What with all the attacks and all."

She sighed. "The hospital has thankfully slowed a little. A few came in last night but it isn't as bad as it was a few months ago. I'm surprised the rangers or police haven't found what's been doing this yet."

I brought a hand to my forehead. "Yeah. I'm surprised too." I mumbled.

She hummed. "How's college?" She asked changing the subject.

"It's great."

"And I actually have to ask you how it went a few weeks ago."

I frowned. "How what... Oh."

I remembered Halloween when I asked my mom about loving Michael. "It went... Great." I smiled.

"That's great honey!" She truly sounded ecstatic to hear it. "What's he like?"

I smile to myself and looked to the picture beside my bed I'd found a frame for yesterday. "He's charming, handsome is an understatement and I'm not even joking. He has bright green eyes, a beautiful face, sharp features, muscled, wonderfully soft hair..." I paused a moment to shake myself out of a memory and cleared my throat. "He's a wonderful man, and I don't think I could find anyone better than him."

There was silence on the other line for a few moments and I thought that maybe it'd cut off. "And what are you doing tonight?" She finally said.

"Well, he went to his... Friend's for the weekend and is back soon. So I'll probably just spend the rest of the evening with him."

"NOPE!" She yelled down the phone making me move it away from my ear abruptly. I brought it back to my ear and stood up to continue circling my room. "You're coming over with him tonight."

I shook my head. "Mom, it's only been about two weeks since we told each other."

"But it's been almost three months since you've been talking to him, right?"

I groaned. Damn I wish I never told her I'd known him for about two months. "Mom..."

"Come on honey, I am dying to meet the man that stole my daughter's heart."

"What?" I heard a deep voice half yell in the background.

I sighed. "Here we go. Mom, give the phone to dad."

For about fifteen minutes, I put the phone beside my bed on loud speaker. I lay down but turned the volume down so it was a little buzz while my father yelled down the phone about school work, concentrating, what love meant, what year this 'boy' was in, how old he was, what he looked like, if he'd taken advantage of me yet as if he would, how if he went out of line he'd kick his ass... And then I blanked out and started reading a magazine.

I shut my eyes for a brief minute and suddenly felt a sharp bitter cold breeze brush my cheek. I smiled to myself and opened my eyes to watch Michael closing my window. I never locked my window anymore.

The phone went quiet so I took it off speaker and put it to my ear. "Are you done, dad?"

He sighed. "Yes."

"Good. Can I speak to mom now?"

"Yes." He grumbled.

There was a pause and then a, "During the time your father was ranting I started dinner. It'll be casual. Don't want to scare him off. I'm expecting you tonight, Evie. And I'll also be expecting...?"