11: Bad For You

_________________________________________

I stared wide eyed with my mouth slightly open as the class was told the lecture was cancelled... Again.

I heard endless speculations from the crowd of students as they walked out. The main ones being:

"Is he sick?"

"Has he quit?"

"Has he left the country?"

"Is he dead?"

I stood up slowly still curious and wary of why Mr. Reeves wasn't here again.
It had been a week since the small crash. I'd managed to keep my mind occupied with a few assignments and studying thank god otherwise my brain would be mush. During the nights, however, that's how my brain felt. I still asked myself what that thing was that ran out in front of me causing me to crash... And of course I still ask myself what would have happened if I didn't tell Mr. Reeves to stop.

There were so many outcomes to that last one I'd imagined them numerous of times. The two love bites on my neck were starting to disappear. I wore a scarf around campus for the first few days. I didn't want anyone staring at me thinking... Well, you know.

"Why do you think he isn't here again?" Kate asked as we walked through the halls to the cafeteria.

Laura shrugged. "Who knows? Nobody has seen him around campus either. He hasn't attended any of his lectures this week I've heard."

"Really?" I asked quietly. 

She nodded. "I asked my friend about it this morning and she said he wasn't there for her Monday class."

Damien sat beside me while Kate and Laura sat opposite. 
Why wasn't he here? I know for a fact it had nothing to do with what happened between us last week because I can see that he's better than that. And that would be a childish reason to miss half a week of lectures.

"You alright there, Evie?"

I looked toward Damien and nodded. "Oh. Yes, I'm fine."

"You just seemed a bit dazed." 

I bit my bottom lip briefly. "I was just thinking."

He frowned but turned back to the girls to talk about the hockey game next Friday night. I was aimlessly looking around when a familiar man walked around the corner entering the cafeteria.

Would I be nuts walking up to him? He knew about what happened last week because every time he looked at me it was filled with sympathy and curiosity. But there was a soft look in his green eyes too. I hadn't gone up to him to ask if he knew about what happened between Mr. Reeves and me or if he just knew about the crash. I briefly remember Mr. Reeves speaking with him over the phone but I wasn't sure if it was him because he'd said Jonathon.

If anyone knew where Mr. Reeves was, he would. 

Coach Harris rounded a corner and started down a long hall leading to the staff room.
I suddenly found myself standing up from my chair, ignoring the calls from the girls and Damien and following him.

"Harris," I called.

He turned around and smiled at me. "Hello, Evie. How're you?"

I stopped near him and leant back until my shoulders lightly hit the wall.

"I'm fine thanks."

"Better than last week, I presume?"

I tilted my head to the side. "It was you on the phone then."

His brows knitted together but he didn't confirm nor deny it. I found myself unconsciously feeling the stretched line of skin underneath my fringe. I didn't expect the wound to heal so quickly but damn did it.

To break the silence I answered his question. "Yes, better than last week."

"That's good to hear." He crossed his arms over his chest and waited for me to obviously ask whatever I came here to say.

So I put my hands in my jeans pockets and pushed off the wall. "A lot of people are wondering where Mr. Reeves is."

His face didn't change expression but his body language told me he was slightly defensive. Why, I wasn't sure.

"He's sick." Was his reply.

I narrowed my eyes but didn't argue. What a lie, I thought. "Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up." I said with as little sarcasm as I could muster.

But he saw right through it. "He isn't feeling too well, Evie what else can I say."

"You can tell me the truth, eh Jonathan?" I teased. He scowled. It was half playful half serious. Coach Harris couldn't be serious for too long. He was too playful for that.