The Roommate Disaster - Two

It is almost eleven pm when I arrive home, and even though it's a little late already, I know that dad is still in his study room

It is almost eleven pm when I arrive home, and even though it's a little late already, I know that dad is still in his study room. I go there and take a peek inside. He is slouching on his desk chair, completely focused on his work and doesn't even notice that I'm entering the room. I make a little noise and that's the time he finally look up.

   "How did it go?" he asks, returning back to his work.

   I take a seat, sighing. "I found a place to stay for college," I tell him.

   There must be something interesting with what I said because he looks back at me. "You found one?" he asks, as if what I said isn't real.

   I nod.

   "Where is it?" He links his hands together on the table. "How much is it? How many are you in the apartment? Is it an apartment?"

   Wide eyes, I interrupt him. "Whoa, wait, dad. Too many questions. Okay. First off. It's just, uh, I think ten to fifteen minutes away from university. That's by walking. It costs $225 a month. Yes, it's an apartment and we're only two. The apartment has only two rooms, that's why," I answer.

   He nods, thinking it's quite a nice place to stay in. "When are you going to check it out?" He gets back to his work again.

   I lean back on the chair and throw my head back. The light blinds me for a second. "Within the week. I have to check for the owner's schedule yet."

   "Who's she anyway?" The question makes my brows furrow. "I mean, what's the name of this person you're going to stay in? I have to know, you know." He is looking back at me again. I can tell that he is seeing through me.

   I can't lie to him. What will I get if I lie to him anyway? Eventually he'll know that I'm going to stay in a guy's apartment. But it's not like he's my boyfriend and we're going to play of living in together.

   "He's name is Tristan Fletcher," I tell him as slow as I can. "And he's a college guy." I don't think the last part helps that.

   "You're going to live with a guy? A college guy for that matter?" His voice rises up a bit. I simply shrug. "Have you met him? What's he like? Does he seem scary to you? If you have a doubt, you have to find another place. Or better yet, I'll help you find one. I have a colleague living in—"

   "Dad, dad," I cut him off. "Cool down, will you? It's fine. The guy's fine and he looks nice. No, he is nice and very, very gentleman. I don't think he can do something bad at all." I say this with conviction. With what I witness earlier, I know there's not much more than him but a busy college dude hoping to just finish it and move on to another phase of his life. He doesn't look like one of those guys who hangs out most of the time with his girlfriend and flirt and kiss their faces off.

   He leans forward, taking my hand to his. "Billie, I don't think you understand. Sometimes, the good ones are the one who you should look out the most. You'll never know what they are thinking. Despite their good outlook, there are still something bad in them and once that ignite, it will surely be worse than those who are showing the bad in them already," he tells me, fatherly and all.