The Roommate Disaster - Twenty-Two

The Roommate Disaster – Twenty-Two

A day before the beginning of school, all my things are in the apartment. Mom gives me a reassuring smile that college is not that scary. She also compliments me with the room. At lunch, she decides to cook for us. I invite Kurt as well.

"This is so delicious, Mrs. Hart. Now I know where Billie got her cooking skills," he says, taking in a spoonful of risotto.

"Risotto is one of those foods that are hard to cook. I'm glad you like them," mom says, smiling.

"Who says I like it? I love it!"

I laugh at Kurt. I'm glad he's here to accompany us. And for the next two weeks. I'll make sure to cook us food so I won't have to go out every now and again to get food. After all, I don't like instants.

"How's your work going?" I ask. We finish our foods. Mom starts taking the plate. She wants to do everything today because she said that she won't be able to do that to me after she drives back home. I let her be.

"Thank you for the meal, Mrs. Hart." Mom smiles at him as she takes his plate. "Work is fine," he answers me.

"That's good news because I'd like to see you around here often," I tell him.

He leans forward. "Really? You want me around? Doesn't that like invading your privacy?"

"It's only going to be invasion of privacy if you go on my stuffs. So?"

He nods thoughtfully. "You're right but..."

I groan. "What is it?"

He winces, slouching on his chair. "What about Tristan? He doesn't like me around his apartment when he's out, you know."

"Well, he's not here. I'm here and I'm inviting you to join me. It'll be sad to be all alone, you know. I'm not used to it."

He smiles and I think it's the first time I've seen him smile like that. "Okay."

"Great." I stand up and go to mom. "You don't have to worry about me being all alone now. Kurt is going here to accompany me from time to time. He's kind of a busy guy because college and work but he's fine."

"Glad to know that. Don't worry. It'll be only for two weeks, then Tristan will be back."

I sigh. "Yeah. He'll be back in two weeks."

* * *

Two weeks later...

"No! You're cheating, Kurt. That is so rude!" I shout at him, but not taking my eyes off of the video game. I can't believe I'm about to lose to him again. Last week, his game was launched so I asked him if we could check it out. It's one of those games that girls won't get bored easily.

When I notice that he's about to win, I snatch his control and move further from him.

"You're cheating!" he gasps. He reaches for my hand but I kick him on the stomach. He pulls my feet, my butt hitting the floor. I wince in pain. "Gotcha!" He grabs the control in my hand but I don't let it go just yet. Just then, we hear a voice from somewhere close.

"What's going on?" We both look up and see Tristan standing there with his backpack on his shoulder. His T-shirt is so tight that I notice how perfectly chiselled his body is. "What are you two doing?" He has a frown on his face.