The Roommate Disaster - Epilogue

8 months later...

It's summer once again. Sadly, Sadie will be at Hawaii to spend her vacation with her parents. She's been waiting for this day as she is usually left alone at home. I'm happy that she gets to spend time with them. I don't have any plans for this year's summer so I just packed some clothes and drive back home to my parents.

The last time I heard from Tristan was last year, around November, when I went to his apartment to apologize. After that, not a single word from him came. I decided to move on since then.

By the time I arrive at my parents, I see that the front door is locked. I take a step back and look around, then I knock on the door again. Nothing. No one answer. I press my ear to the door to hear if someone's coming to open it but there's only silence on the other side. Mom and dad didn't mention anything to me.

Then something dawns on me, my eyes widening at the realization. They did mention something.

We are going to Cape Cod for one week. Make sure you ring us before going home, okay?

I forget to call them last night. I open my purse and rummage inside, trying to find my own key to the house. Then I remember, I put it back inside my drawer because I won't be needing it anyway. I wince and smack my head mentally. It's almost five pm. I don't want to drive back to my apartment at Georgia. Where should I go then?

Why, of all the days, did they choose this one? Right when Sadie is also on vacation.

Then someone comes in my mind. We've kept in touch. It's too much to ask but he's the only answer to my dilemma.

I call Kurt.

* * *

"I'm really sorry it's so sudden," I tell him as we climb the stairs to his unit.

He chuckles. "No worries. Besides, I need someone to cook for me as I'm starting a new project. I'll have real food for one week," he says, winking.

I shake my head. "I'll make sure to cook you real food as payment for my stay then."

We stop by the door. As he unlocks it, I can't help but look towards Tristan's unit. I wonder if he still lives next door. Or if he's still friends with Kurt. Eight months can do a lot of things after all.

"Welcome to my humble--Billie?" Kurt calls my attention.

I look back at him, smiling. He opens the door wide enough for me to enter. With one last glance at Tristan's door, I walk inside Kurt's apartment.

"Make yourself at home. I've prepared the extra room, so just bring your things there. If there's anything you need, don't hesitate to tell me. Also, I'm going to the grocery right now. Do you want to come?"

My mind is nowhere. I take a seat on the couch first, placing my purse beside me. With a sigh, I ask, "Does Tristan... still lives next door?"

There's a faint smile hidden on Kurt's face. "Yes, he still does. Although he's barely home. I only get to hang out with him every Saturday. He's been working hard, you know."

I smile a little. "You mention grocery?" I stand up and head to his kitchen. I open the refrigerator and check on the food he has. "Maybe you can buy a pack of penne? I'm thinking of making a pasta dish tonight," I tell him.

He is standing by the door, a huge smile on his face. "Pasta is great. Can I invite Ashley?"

I turn to him, a question plaster on my face. "Ashley?"