The Roommate Disaster - Thirty-Three

The Roommate Disaster – Thirty-Three

It is awkward in the café. Seated in front of me is Tristan who is staring straight at me. For the last five minutes that we are seated, he never takes off his eyes away from me. I want to shout at him, ask him what is his problem with me. I would've known if he's happy to see me or not if he's showing any reaction, but it's all just the same poker face.

Sadie is oblivious about the situation or she's pretending to ignore the both of us as she continues to check things on her phone while we wait for our food.

I lean forward, crossing my arms on the table. On my peripheral vision, I see Sadie sigh. I return the stare to Tristan and don't take my eyes off of him as well. If this is the game he wants to play then I'm going to willingly participate to it.

I'm not mad at him. I left the apartment in my own will without any grudge on him. Just like what I said to the short letter I gave to him, I just want to have a normal college life. Having someone to like me is just a bonus of it. As I stare deeply, I see it in his eyes. He is sad to see me. Maybe he's disappointed that I'm so casual with him or that I'm not doing anything to make this situation any less awkward. I don't intend to speak to him first. I don't have anything else to say.

I actually should be mad at my best friend for bringing him with her. She should know better.

Maybe she knows better that's why she brought him with her, my mind says.

I decide that this day is not the right time for that. Exactly as I move back, the food arrives.

Thirty minutes later and one blueberry pie done, Tristan and I don't exchange words. I talk to Sadie and share little bits of what she asks me and she also talks to Tristan who says so little as well. If he's trying to irritate me by not saying anything, I won't be affected.

As we stand up, Sadie groans and excuses herself to go the bathroom. She hands me her car key and says for us to wait in the car. I nod and walk out without looking back at Tristan whom I can hear following me.

I get in on the passenger seat but doesn't start the car. I roll down the window to give me some air.

Surprisingly, Tristan sits on the driver's seat, snatching the car key in my hand. He inserts it on the ignition and the car comes to life.

"Hey, what are you doing?" I ask, confused.

"I'm kidnapping you," he tells me. I'm about to open the car door but then he rushes out of the parking lot and drives fast.

"You're leaving Sadie?" I ask in a high-pitched tone.

He shakes his head. "I'm not leaving her. This is her plan," he informs me.

I almost sink in my seat. My best friend just sold me out to this guy.

"Stop the car," I say in a calm voice. As much as possible, I don't want to argue with him. I've had enough of that. I'm having great days in Georgia and now this guy is about to ruin those days yet again. I'm not allowing that anymore. "I said, stop the car," I repeat.

"Just give me the time to talk to you," he says.

"We don't have anything to talk about." I start dialing Sadie's number. When it rings, she hangs up. "That girl," I tell to no one in particular.

"I told you, she planned this."

"I don't care!" I yelp. I face him, brows knitting together. "I have nothing to say to you, Tristan. Just leave me alone."

"I have a lot of things to say to you. Can't you just even spare me an hour to listen to everything I want to say?"

"I don't want to listen," I say in a low voice.