The Roommate Disaster - Six

The Roommate Disaster – Six

I focus at the task at hand but my mind is drifting off to the scene I saw earlier. The moment Samantha's eyes land on mine, telling me to back off, I returned back inside the room. I want to get out to pick the other things in my car but I can't seem to do it knowing that they'll still be in the living room, eating each other's faces.

I'm still lying flat on the floor when my door opens. Tristan pops his head in and smiles. God, that smile is killing me. I can't like that smile. I can't like him altogether.

"All good?" he asks.

I take one glance at him then I return my eyes to the ceiling as I say, "Yeah. Just passing the time."

He enters my room without asking. Somehow, it makes the beating of my heart to doubles. "The room is so much better now." He sits beside me. "What's going to be on the wall? Looks like you planned it all up already. Going to paint something—" He backs away when I immediately sit up and stare in his eyes, only leaving a mere two inches apart. "What are you doing?" It comes out breathy. I can tell he is nervous. What am I even doing staring in his eyes?

He swallows. I can almost hear it. His eyes are focused on mine. But then it slowly makes its way down to my lips. This time, I swallow the lump in my throat. I'm being weird around him and I can't help it.

"Why you didn't mention Samantha?" I ask out of nowhere, regretting it in the end. I still don't back away. I'm still close to him. I make sure that my eyes will stay in his eyes. I fear that if I glance to his lips, it will be difficult to look away.

"I don't think it's important," he answers. We are both staring into each other's eyes.

I bite the inside of my bottom lip, trying to keep my mouth from asking more questions.

"Does it bother you?" he asks, his voice so low I almost don't hear it.

This time, I look away as I lean back. "Well, I don't want it to be awkward between me and your girlfriend. I don't—"

"Wait. What?" His brows knit together.

"Samantha. She's your girlfriend... right?"

The look on his face tells me otherwise. He's as confused as I am. I don't say another word. I wait for him to clear what's unclear between the two of us. In fact, I want him to clear to me that Samantha is not a girlfriend. That will actually make me happy. Okay. I sound jealous. I shouldn't be. I only like him. Does liking includes jealousy though? Oh, I should talk to Sadie when I get home.

"Samantha... well, she was my girlfriend." There is an emphasis on was. It's past tense, meaning she's an ex-girlfriend. "She's trying to get back to me." He looks down, scratching the back of his neck as if the information is embarrassing.

I sigh. "Well, do you want to get back to her?" I ask, not knowing what else to ask him.

"I don't know," he says. He lies back down, staring at the ceiling. "I don't know if I want to."

I sigh again. My purpose for the day is to decorate my room, not to have a heart to heart talk with my soon to be roommate.

"Why is she here then? You know, you just give her the assumption that you still want her just like what she wants to you."