The Roommate Disaster - Thirty-Five

"I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to hang out with you, grandma, grandpa," I tell them with a sad smile. I pack some additional clothes and some groceries mom bought for me yesterday. I'm in my room the whole day after I had a long conversation with Drake. Dad wants to drive me but I tell him that it's okay not to. Besides, they're going to visit me next weekend.

"It's okay, dear," grandma takes my hand. "I hope you're okay now."

I nod, smiling.

"I'll see you next Saturday, okay?" She kisses me on my forehead. "Alright, then. Go on and be safe."

"If that boy is still bugging your mind, go and find someone else to fill that space," grandpa tells me. I feel a warmth on my cheek.

"I'm going now." I wave a hand and go for the door. When I open it, surprisingly, a guy is standing at the end of the porch step. What is he doing here?

But something meet my eyes somewhere far. A car stops by on the side of the road and a guy with brown hair comes out. He's here already?

"Are you busy?" Tristan asks. He looks over me and his face changes. "Looks like you're going back."

I swallow. This is not what I expect today. I just want to go back to my apartment. That's all. I should've just let my dad drive me. "Actually--"

But then, Drake calls out my name, "Billie, are you ready?"

My eyes widen. Tristan's face hardens. Then he turns around and Drake stops walking towards me. What a day already.

"So he's here," I hear Tristan say. It's more of a whisper to himself but I hear it clear. He faces me again. "Is he... is he your boyfriend? Have you been with him while we--ugh!" He groans, touching the side of his head.

There's a sting starting to form inside my chest but I push it away. I chuckle with no humor. Maybe it's best if we don't talk anymore. Things aren't healthy between us. It's not going to do any good, most especially to me. He's been spitting out words without thinking about it. He doesn't think at all. My feelings are fragile. Why can't he see I'm hurting?

I look down as my hands ball into fists. "What are you even doing here?" I ask, a bit mad. There's angry tears in my eyes. I should stop crying for someone like him. I don't give this guy the right to hurt me and yet I don't do anything to stop him.

"I thought you want to talk," he says so casually. What's wrong with this guy?

"I change my mind," I tell him. I raise my head, meeting his eyes. "I change my mind, Tristan. I don't want to t--" I close my eyes as I feel that I can't finish my sentence. I have to say it out loud. I have to let him know that he should stop hurting me or else he won't see my presence anymore. Even if my parents are still a bit fond of him and my best friend wants to help me out with him, I will stop this guy coming any closer to me if that's the last thing I have to do.

I've learned that love is a cruel feeling. Not only it give us the chance to be happy, it also gives us the option to hurt someone we actually care for. It's not fair to have a stuffy feeling while breaking deep inside.

So I say it to let him know that I'm done giving him the option to hurt me. "I don't want to talk to you anymore, Tristan." The tears I'm trying to hold back roll down my cheeks. I meet his eyes and they are blankly staring at me. "Even though I try to fix things between us, it feels so wrong already. There's this magnetized feeling around us. We don't attract one another, we push away, that's what we do. Right now you're being a jerk. Tomorrow, what are you going to be? It's hard to fall in love to someone I don't completely know. You've been through bad situations, I get it. But did those situations give you the right to hurt me?