LIV - I Regret This Already

Chapter Fifty-Four

The next day, I had had enough of this. Klaus needed to be involved, whether he liked it or not. And it seemed that Elijah agreed, seeing how when I was walking to Klaus' room, he was right behind me. He went up and stood in front of Klaus' painting.

Klaus turned, a small container of blue paint in his hand. He smirked at Elijah. "Not a fan of cerulean blue?"

"Not a fan of your continued indifference," Elijah replied.

"Well, it's difficult trying to unite a community that has a history of mutual loathing," Klaus said.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, spare us the platitudes, Nik."

"A perspective, then," Klaus said, compromising. "If you want peace, you must begin with the werewolves. A hundred years ago, they had a run at ruling this city. As of late, all they've had is time to watch their enemies tear down that legacy."

"All the more reason why their enemies are reluctant to bring them to the table," Elijah countered.

"Take a page from Bienville, brother," Klaus said, walking forwards and laying a hand on his shoulder. "If the table's the obstacle, remove it," he smirked. He turned around, and walked over to the table, where he began to pour three drinks. "Do either of you recall, in 1720, the Governor's desperation to secure our help to build the cities first levees?"

I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Oh, do I. I had to drag both of you home. You were almost too drunk to stand."

Klaus grinned, and nodded. "We sat with him, and refused his offer, and so he plied us with wine, with corseted women, and with raucous camaraderie until he had his yes."

I smiled as he handed us both our drinks, then took his own.

Elijah caught on quickly. "Are you suggesting that I throw a party?"

Klaus grinned, then downed his drink.

"Well, I guess I'd better go call Hayley," I smirked, then drank my drink as well, and set the glass down before practically skipping out of the room.

*

I had just taken a shower and dried my hair when she got there, and knocked on my bedroom door. We went down the stairs, laughing about something that she had said about Klaus. We both jumped a little with guilty expressions when he showed up beside us as we met the front entrance.

"What are you two laughing at?" he asked, a suspicious expression on his face.

We tried to suppress the giggles, and he narrowed his eyes at us.

"Nothing," I said, smirking.

"Of course..." He said. "Where are you two off to, anyway?"

"We're going dress shopping for Elijah's party tonight," I said, the two of us moving past him.

Instead of leaving us be like a normal person, he decided that he was going to follow us. I sighed as we got to the front door, turning around to look at him. "Klaus, what are you doing?"

"Well, I'm not going to let you two pick them out yourselves," he smirked. "I'd like to see where my money is going."

"I have my own money, Klaus. I'll pay for Hayley's too, thank you."

"Nope. I'm paying. End of discussion."

"Elijah!" I shouted.

I heard him sigh as he also came down the stairs. "You called?"