LVIII - Worry

Above is Rose's dress. :) And, I shall say it again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAITLIN! ^_^

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fifty-Eight

I wore a black dress to the party, a slightly more casual one in comparison to the dress I had worn to Elijah's treaty signing. I loved it, and to be honest, I kind of liked it a little more than the other one. But of course, I paired it with the necklace that Elijah had given me. It fit perfectly. I also put on a black leather jacket, which kept me warm with the cool night air.

I stood in the quarter, in front of a shop that was very close to the stage that they were going to take the girls to.

When I saw the lifted chairs making their way through the streets, I almost narrowed my eyes at Genevieve when I saw that, yet again, Davina was in last place. But then again, people do save the best for last.

I smirked at the thought, watching the girls as they each walked up the stairs with the assistance of a male witch. I understood why they needed help, heels were the definition of a walking hell. I would know, I was wearing black stilettos now. Luckily for me, I had grown used to these things over the years.

Genevieve went up in front of them, speaking to the crowd now. "And now, in accordance with the Fete des Benedictions, the witches of New Orleans bless you all!"

The crowd lost it at that, cheering loudly. I almost groaned when I saw Monique step forwards and raise her hands, making the ground shake beneath our feet. She was supposed to represent earth, of course. Next was Abigail, and she lifted up her arms, causing a gust of wind to come at us. She, obviously, was air. Did these girls KNOW that they were harvest girls? Was that really the best they could do?

Davina, however, definitely impressed me. She was fire, and damn, she really was a little firecracker. She turned around and put up her hand, directing it to the outline of a fleur-des-lis. The sign immediately lit up, and fireworks soon followed after it, shooting up into the sky and making the crowd cheer loudly in approval and excitement.

Sometimes I wondered what the humans would do if they found out that all of this is real. I mean, sure, there are some people that believe. But what if they knew what it was really like? They would probably panic, not celebrate it like they were doing now.

Before long, all of us were inside. I saw two of the girls at the front of the room, and Davina was grinning as she spoke to some people in front of her chair. She was happy, and that was all that I cared about.

Klaus came up beside me as Genevieve tapped her champagne glass with a knife. I held my box a little tighter, smiling softly at him before looking back at the woman that I hated so much.

"Welcome! As is our time-honoured tradition, you are all welcome to deliver your offerings. It is our custom that no one should be turned away, no blessing be denied," she raised her glass as us before moving off to the side, and the girls all took a seat.

Hayley was first. She had a small beige box, and was heading towards Davina, when a woman who was standing beside the girls went over to her and gestured to Monique. Hayley sent Davina an apologetic look before reluctantly setting her box in front of Monique. Next was Francesca, and yet again, the woman directed her to go to Abigail. And now it was Diego. He was directed to Monique.

About twenty boxes later, Abigail had a pile in front of her, and so did Monique. But Davina didn't have a single box.

I clenched my fists, glaring at Genevieve from across the room.