LXI - Pain

I WANT POPCORN.

AND THIS SONG IS PERF.

AND THIS CHAPTER BRINGS ON THE FEELS.

*Principal Voice* That is all.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Sixty-One

It had been hours since the last bombs went off. It was dark now, and since the sun went down, more than a quarter of the people in that community had died.

Elijah and I had given our blood to anyone who would take it, but people were much more interested in getting my blood than his. I guess that having blood which was only part vampire was better than full vampire. They seemed to ignore that the other half was the blood of a witch.

Eve had died. Oliver had said that she fell asleep and didn't wake up.

And now, he was walking in a circle of people standing around the campfire. He was riling them up, making them angry and bloodthirsty. He was becoming the leader that those people believed they needed.

Hayley returned, and I was happy to hear that she was fine, as well as her baby. They didn't feel any after effects, which was good.

"You stayed," she said as she came up behind Elijah and I.

We both nodded to her, continuing to watch Oliver.

"What is going on?" she asked. "What is he doing?"

"He's making a move for power in the wake of tragedy," Elijah told her. "And he's not alone. There was another attack after you left."

"What?" she whispered.

"Jackson... He needs you, Hayley. They will want vengeance... Blood for blood. People won't want the best leader, they'll want the loudest. And right now, Oliver is the loudest."

She nodded slowly.

"He's in the dining hall. You should go see him," I told her.

She nodded again, and left us.

"You didn't tell her about Eve..." Elijah said.

"No, I didn't."

"Why?"

"Because I don't like to cause pain, Elijah. And when she finds out that I obeyed Eve's wish to not be fed my blood when I could have saved her, there is a very likely chance that she will hate me. I can't watch that happen."

"She won't hate you," he said. "No matter how hard she tries, she can't. I guarantee it."

I sighed, and bit my lip. "We should go."

He nodded, and so we did.

When we got back to the abattoir, Elijah and I went our separate ways. I could sense Klaus somewhere else in the city, and I knew that he was with Cami. They weren't at St. Anne's, though. They were at her apartment.

When I arrived, I met Klaus outside of the apartment building. He had been walking out, a saddened expression on his face.

"Klaus?" I asked. "Are you alright?"

He almost bumped right into me, and stayed silent for a moment before speaking. "Kieran is dead. So I allowed Marcel to be with Cami for twenty-four hours."

I nodded to him. "Good. That's the right thing to do."

"Elijah won't be happy with me," he sighed as we both made our way down the walkway, side by side.