Chapter 6: Two Weeks Later

*Kariann’s POV*

“Kariann! Be sure to put the dishes away!” My mother yelled from her bedroom.

“Yes, mother!” I sighed, getting up from the couch and beginning to do my morning chores.

I’ve been up since about seven o’clock this morning and I couldn’t go back to sleep since. I heard it then, the stumbles of Dakota walking out of my room and walking into the kitchen. She was in her sweats and tank top, her usual night attire. She leaned against the island counter, watching me put away dishes.

It was nine o’clock now. That girl really knew how to sleep… she even went to bed before I did. “Your bedhead is rocking this morning.” I commented, checking out her crazy wavy hair, which was sticking up everywhere.

We heard a car door slam, followed by loud laughter. “Must be the neighbors.” I said.

Yeah, we lived in a small town. Nothing too special about it really. Dakota let out a huge yawn, but it was interrupted by a knock on the door. “Would you get that?” I asked her.

She waved her hand, making a show of dragging her feet toward the door and opening it. From there, I heard a loud chorus of voices, “SURPRISE!”

You couldn’t miss the British accents. I looked around the corner and saw Niall picking Dakota up from her feet, spinning her around in the living room. He set her down and she took a step back, eyes squinting at the five boys that were standing in the living room. She looked over, staring at me.

“Don’t give me that look.” I said, “I’m just as surprised as you are.”

“Wait, so I’m not dreaming?” She asked, looking back.

Nope. She wasn’t. Naill reached up, grabbing her head and shaking her, “What is this? Do you not recognize your best friend?”

Dakota squinted her eyes, staring at Niall. “Niall? Is this the legitimate pop star sensation, Niall Horan. A blond Irish boy who hasn’t bothered to contact me in two weeks!?”

She smacked Niall’s arm, who just whined in return and pouted at her. “Sorry, we’ve been so busy with the tour though.”

That I didn’t care about, there was something else on my mind. I walked into the living room, “Well, I’d like to know how the hell you found my house!”

I heard my father then, walking down the hallway from his bedroom. “Kariann Taylor, what is going on here? Who are these boys?”

All five boys turned, looking at my father. “Sir! You must be Kariann’s grandfather! We are a part of a band that these two girls are fans of.”

Dakota cleared her throat, she was first to catch onto the mistake. “Um, Louis, that’s not her grandfather.”

Louis was shocked. Oh, and I just noticed then that he was off his crutches and was walking around just fine. The guys looked at each other, not sure of what to say. Zayn spoke up, “Great-grandfather?”

I couldn’t help it, I started laughing. Dakota slapped her forehead. “That’s her dad, dimwits!”

“Wait! Are you saying that the other guy isn’t both your fathers?” Niall exclaimed in shock.

“That was her dad.” I said, shaking her head, pointing at Dakota.

“So you’re not sisters?” Liam asked, confused.

“No!” We both shouted.

Somehow this conversation was bringing enjoyment to my father. He was laughing. “Well, shit, Kariann, why haven’t you introduced us yet?”