Chapter 13: Bad to Worse

*Dakota’s POV*

I’m not sure what motivated me to do it, but I bought the magazine. Kariann’s attempts to stop me didn’t work. I just had to get it. For something so… disgusting to happen… I wasn’t sure what to think. At first, when I learnt of the news, I was freaking out. Now it was in the middle of the night and I stared at the cover of the magazine, already memorizing the details that laid behind its cover.

I twirled my phone in my hand. I looked over at the adjoining couch, seeing Kariann fast asleep. Of course she would be. She was usually asleep by one o’clock at least. I looked through the contacts on the phone, seeing one name in particular.

Bonnie.

“Maybe she could help me with this…”

The phone rang. “Hello?” a soft, yet chirpy voice answered.

I wasn’t sure what it was. It wasn’t often I got upset over issues, but hearing my best friend’s voice, everything felt calmer. “Hey, isn’t it like five o’clock in the morning where you are?” She asked, confused.

“It’s actually three…” I said.

“No… I’m doing the math now. It should be five…”

“Well, to be honest, I’m not at home at the moment.” I said. From there, I explained everything to her. I started back to Ohio all the way to the first time the two of us talked during my first day with the boys.

“There’s no way.” Bonnie said in disbelief. “It’s one in a million chance.”

“Look on Twitter.” I said, “That should be proof enough.”

Bonnie and I talked some more as she got onto her computer for proof. “Holy shit, you weren’t lying. Is that Kariann?”

“Yep.” I answered, staring down at the magazine still.

“Holy… Dakota, why didn’t you tell me this sooner?”

“Please don’t be mad.” I said. “It was just so overwhelming and hard to believe. We’ve only been together for two weeks. We’re even going home next Sunday. I was going to tell you, but I wanted it to be a surprise.”

“Surprise, how?” She asked.

“I’m not sure. I was hoping to have you meet them personally.” I said, scratching my neck. “I know how much you like them: just like me and Kariann. Hell, you could’ve met them also if you was with us in Ohio instead of Australia. Oh, God, Bonnie, I’m seriously sorry.”

“Dakota! Jeez, calm down. I’m not mad at you. You sound like you’re about to cry. Is everything alright?”

“Have you read the news lately?” I asked, sniffing some, still staring at the magazine.

“About the guys? No, I’ve been quite busy lately… Here, I’ll look it up.” I could even hear her typing away on her computer. I waited quietly until she found it. “Oh no…”

I sniffed again, starting to feel my eyes well up. Now the news was starting to hit me. I almost cried telling Dad, but he managed to calm me down. Now with Bonnie, I was about to do it again. I needed to stop and get my act together, yet I couldn’t…

“Oh, God. Dakota, is that seriously you with Louis?”

“Yeah…”

“You didn’t…”

“No!” I practically screamed in the phone. “You know very well I’m not like that!”

“I was only joking, but I can see that you’re being serious about this. Okay, God… Damn, I’m not sure what to say. I’m still kind of shocked.”