Chapter 16: Happy Birthday Mommy and Daddy Direction!

*Kariann’s POV*

It was the first day of school. What was to be expected? What I wanted was to see my friends again, many whom I haven’t even seen over the summer. “Kariann!” I heard one of my ‘sisters’ say to me. I called her sis, though her name was Destiny.

I smiled at my best friend, seeing her walking hand in hand with her boyfriend, Damien. We exchanged hugs. “You know, I was wondering why you never called me during the end of the summer, but after hearing everybody talk, I can see now.”

I gave her a confused look. She leaned in. “Everyone’s talking about you and Dakota. A lot are saying you got to stay with One Direction.”

“Oh…” I said, pulling out a binder. “Well…”

“It’s okay, I’m not mad that you didn’t tell me.” Destiny said. She brought her voice down. “Actually, I think Dakota is getting the worse end of the rumors…”

I looked over, seeing Dakota putting stuff in her locker as her best friend, Bonnie was shoving stuff into her locker next to her. I could see the smiles apparent on both of their faces as they talked. I gave her a side-look, “How so?”

“Well…” Damien spoke up. “I heard some freshman calling her a slut.”

“A whore, too.” Destiny added.

I gaped. I shook my head, feeling my tongue slide across my teeth as I slammed the locker shut. “I swear, if I’m around to hear one person say that to her, I’m going to knock their teeth in.”

“Whoa, there sister.” Destiny said, putting a hand on my shoulder. “The rumors will die down soon.”

“I don’t know…” Damien started, which received an elbow to the stomach.

Destiny gave him a look, telling him to shut up. I looked over at Dakota. I hope she wouldn’t learn of the rumors. The past few days she’s been talking between Eleanor and Louis quite often, and each day she has been getting better. I knew she avoided social sites, knowing full well what was to be expected on there.

“I just want to wait until I’m strong enough to read them. I’m still pretty shocked over the magazine, but I know there will be a day where I can just look back and laugh. Just for now, I need my friends. So I’ll just settle with them until then.” I remembered her saying to me while we were on our plane ride home.

As long as she was smiling now, I’ll contain myself. But still, I’ll beat the shit out of any girl that calls my best friend a whore, especially when she’s not even the type to think that way with anyone.

-Three Weeks Later-

Three weeks easily passed by and I was already 18. Strange, I was considered an adult now yet I didn’t feel like one. It was Saturday and a very hot one at that. Dakota and I sat in the living room, just about having every fan in the house on. “Seriously, why can’t your mom turn down the AC?” Dakota cried, fanning herself with a folder.

God, I wish. It sucked having older parents with cold blood.

I heard the door knocked and I looked over at Dakota. “Ugh, fine…” She said, getting up and going over *to the door.

I looked over the couch to see who would be present. She opened the door. Standing right in front of here was Liam Payne with a birthday hat on that said ‘Birthday Boy’ and a cake that read ‘Happy Birthday Mommy and Daddy Direction!’ A huge smile came across our faces. The others popped up right behind Liam, “Surprise!”

“Oh, my God. I would so totally hug you right now Liam but you’re holding a cake!” Dakota screeched excitedly, moving out of the way to let the boys in.