Chapter 11: Just Give Me a Reason

*Harry’s POV*

We were in the studio, all of us, including the girls. We were all deadbeat tired. I wasn’t really sure why we were in a recording studio. We were probably going to do another cover for fundraising, but I wasn’t sure. We didn’t have to start recording until another hour, so I was sitting behind a set of drums messing around. Last night was hectic, for all of us really. I was worried for both of the girls, but they seemed to be taking it fine.

I kind of hated Louis and Zayn at the moment though. It wasn’t just because they pulled a stunt like that during a concert, but for the mere fact they were so willing to show the girls off to the world as quick as they did. If it was me, I’d do whatever I could to keep their identities a secret. Call me selfish if you want, but it would seriously be nice to know somebody whose name wasn’t revealed because of our popularity as One Direction.

Maybe it was the mere fact that it was them. Them, being normal. Them, being accepting. They didn’t see us as the boys from One Direction, but as individuals. It was so hard not to care for them and protect them. Liam with his mad crush on Dakota and my own with Kariann. It was so hopeless. I hated it. So much it just pissed me off.

I hit a cymbal too hard that it fell over on its stand. “Whoa, mate, chill a little with the sticks.” Niall said, bending over with his guitar to pick up the cymbal.

I let out a frustrated breath. “Niall, what would you do?” I asked, looking up at him. “What if a girl so normal suddenly came in your life in the least way you expected and you can’t help but love her? How would you handle yourself knowing you’re a part of this?” I rose my arms, emphasizing on my words.

Niall grabbed his chair, pulling it over near me. “Well, I assume by ‘this’, you mean the fame with One Direction. Harry, honestly, I don’t know. Since it hasn’t happen with me, the only thing I can say is go with the flow.” He lowered his voice some, leaning toward me. “Are you talking about Kariann?”

He nodded passed the window, on the other side showing Dakota and Kariann sitting and talking to Liam and Louis. Zayn wasn’t a few feet away, sleeping away on the couch with headphones on. I shrugged in response, hitting the bass petal a few times. “You are!” Niall smiled. “I knew it! What you said at the radio station was total bullshit then!”

“Actually,” I corrected. “At the time I was telling the truth, it wasn’t until later on that day I realized it was a lie.”

“Oh, my God!” Niall laughed. “I can’t get over this.”

“You’re making me regret ever asking.” I said, sighing and touch the top of my head where part of my hair was pulled back. I never had the chance to take a shower this morning and my hair was slightly greasy.

“Sorry, mate. But seriously, I’m happy for you. Kariann’s a nice girl and I know you two would be an awesome couple.”

“I doubt that will ever happen.” I said, twirling the stick in my hand. “She’s got a boyfriend and no matter how obvious I am to telling her my feelings, she just doesn’t catch on.”

“Seriously?” Niall asked. “Wow.”

I nodded, shrugging. “Well,” Niall continued, “I guess there isn’t much you can do now. I suppose the best you can do is just watch over her.”

“Yeah, I guess.” I said, in the mood for a sudden drum roll.

*Liam’s POV*

We still had a half hour before anyone was to show up and instruct us in what to do, so what we did for fun? It consisted of hanging out in the studio room and listening to Niall make up random songs with his guitar. I think after ten minutes, we all sort of got sick of it. “Okay, can we please do something that has to do with real music?” Kariann begged, “I’m sick of hearing Bob the Builder and Barney!”