Chapter 27: Surf's Up

*Dakota’s POV*

I was feeling quite bleak and horrible at the moment. After my small meeting with Aaron, he pretty much led me to agreeing in watching him in a surfing competition that was to happen soon. I honestly didn’t want to go. It was on the public end of the beach, which was walking distance, but I was sure my face wasn’t exactly unpopular. I was still a huge talk going on at school and have been confronted on before and I honestly didn’t want to mess with the hate during vacation.

Either way, the damage has been done by agreeing. I was to meet over there in half an hour. He’d show me to his friends, do his surfing, and I’ll be on his way. I would be out long enough to support him through and through and be back in time before anyone noticed. Hopefully. Well, I mean, I told Bonnie about it. She actually pitied me for having to go, but she said she’d wait for my return.

I walked out my door, sticking my key in my pocket. And to my joy, I already almost ran right smack into somebody. Oh, freaking God, just my luck.

And guess who?

“Where you going?” Louis asked, noticing my get-up.

Shorts, a loose, bright orange tank top that said ‘LOVE’ with a white bikini top on underneath. Oh, and orange flip-flops. Gotta love my orange fetish. Nothing unusual for me, but seemingly unusual for my dear friend Louis. Before I could gather my thoughts, the word slipped. “Bonnie’s…”

“Her cottage is in the other direction.” He pointed the other way.

Shit, I thought. “We’re meeting at the beach…” I slipped again.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Louis raised an eye. He pointed behind me. “Once again, the other direction. I can see the lie written all over your face, Dakota. Be honest with me, seriously.”

I reached up, scratching the back of my neck. “Well, I’m seriously going to the beach.”

Louis crossed his arms, letting out a breath. He raised an eye again. I mocked him, looking up at him. I gave in anyways. “I meant the public beach.”

I pointed out. Louis looked over, from where we stood, we could see a mob of people gathering around on the other pier. Louis’s face fell for a second before it became slightly disgusted. “Seriously? Just to meet that boy?”

“What?”

“That guy you had lunch with earlier. Are you going to meet him?”

“Aaron?” I couldn’t help but bring myself to ask.

“Is that his name?” Louis snorted, rolling his eyes.

“Hey!” I scolded. “That’s not nice, you know!?”

He shrugged, looking in the other direction, avoiding my gaze. “Whatever. He doesn’t seem like an interesting guy anyways.”

I scoffed. “How would you even know?”

He shrugged, bringing his arms down to stick his hands in his pockets. “Does it matter? I just know.”

“Whatever.” I said, getting ready to walk around him.

He stepped in front of me, stopping me. I stepped to the other side, but he did the same. “Louis.” I huffed, looking up at him. His blue eyes stared down into mine. “You can’t keep me from going.”

“I know. I’m not stopping you. Go if you want.” He said, moving his head as if telling me to go.

“Fine. I will.” I said, moving over to get around him. Once again he stepped in my way.